wattage

Old 10-01-03, 06:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wattage

I have a question for all you good people. Why is it that you have to have a single circuit for a washing machine and not for a hair dryer, when a hair dryer has a wattage of 1875 and a washing machine has a wattage of 600 to 900. I would think you would need a single circuit for a hair dryer also. My washing machine is on a circuit with more than just a washing machine.Thank you

Old 10-01-03, 06:32 PM
The electrical code attempts to limit the number of recepts on a bathroom circuit. All recepts of all baths on one 20A circuit, or all stuff from one bath (incl recepts, lights, etc) on one 20A circuit. You still are somewhat limited to one superblower hair dryer operating at any given time in the bathrooms.
The laundry room recepts are limited to a dedicated circuit in the event you have a elec dryer and iron operational.

Just MHO

Old 10-01-03, 06:42 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Code does not require a circuit be dedicated to a washing machine (just to receptacles in the laundry area). And 1875-watt hair dryers are just a bad idea (the NEC can't control stupid appliances).

Old 10-02-03, 05:15 AM
R
Hair dryers are portable. You may use it in the bathroom, the bedroom, the kitchen. or anywhere in the house. Washing machines are considered installed appliances. While it is true that you could move your washing machine to another location in the house, it is not practical to do so, as this would require water lines and a drain be provided.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: