adding a receptacle to existing switch?

Old 10-03-03, 11:10 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question adding a receptacle to existing switch?

I just remodeled our bathroom and put in a new light fixture. The old fixture had an outlet in the base of it and that was the only outlet in the bathroom. Now with a new fixture, I have no outlets in my bathroom. Is it possible to put in a combination switch/single outlet in place of the wall switch? Is this available in a GFCI? thanks!

Old 10-04-03, 04:56 AM
Your local inspector allowed a remodel of a bathroom and didn't require a 20A circuit brought to a new outlet near the sink? Wow.

Depending on how many wires are in the switch box, you might be able to add a combo switch/recept. I've not seen them with GFCI too.

Old 10-04-03, 08:36 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shut off the breaker and pull the switch out of the wall without disconnecting any wires. See if there is a white wire attached to the switch. If not, then yes you can put a combo switch/GFCI receptacle there (Leviton makes one). But if there is a white wire attached to the switch, then you will need to run a cable from the light box to a location for a new receptacle.

Old 10-04-03, 05:37 PM
R
Inspector?? I live out in the country and did not consult an inspector. It was surface remodeling anyway.

I will look for the white wire. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: