fan wiring

Old 10-07-03, 07:45 PM
cainlo
Visiting Guest
fan wiring

I am tring to replace a ceiling fan. During the process I was fored to remove the wires from the box while I remounted it in the ceiling. Now I can't seem to get it wired right. It is in a series betwwen two rooms, so the box has 6 cables coming in to it (B-W-G), one wire is for the switch. how should I wire this and can I have all the white wires together??

Old 10-07-03, 08:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Look inside the switch box. Is there just one black wire and one white wire in the box (no more), and are both the black and white attached to the switch?

There are really six cables? As in six black wires, six white wires, and six bare grounding wires???? It must be awfully crowded in that box!

Do you now which of these six cables is the one coming from the switch? Do you know which of these six cables is providing power?

What electrical test equipment do you have? A neon circuit tester? A voltmeter?

Your situation is a textbook example of why you should always mark the cables and record the connections before disconnecting anything.

If you have the patience, and you'll need plenty, we can eventually sort this out.

Old 10-08-03, 04:02 PM
cainlo
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

there are a total of 9 actual wires: 3 black, 3 white, 3 bare ground wires,one set comes from the bathroom, one set comes from the next bedroom, one set is the switch. I don't have much for equipment, wire stripers & continuity tester is all I have. I know what wires go where. What I don't know is how to actually hook it up the propper way to make everything works right. I have tried many combinations; all obviously with varied results, but none of them the right one.

Old 10-08-03, 04:19 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not quite sure how we got from six cables down to three, but I'm glad it happened anyway.

The success of these instructions depends on the fact that you are completely sure of which cable goes to the switch, and are not merely making assumptions based on which side of the box the cable leaves on. Also, since you didn't answer my question about the switch, I'm going to assume the answer is "yes". If this assumption is off the mark, then so is my advice.

Call the cable to the bathroom "X".
Call the cable to the bedroom "Y".
Call the cable to the switch "S".
Black wires will be referred to by "b".
White wires will be referred to by "w".

Make the following connections:
  • Xb to Yb to Sw.
  • Sb to all the hot wires from the fan (one or more of: black, blue, black with white stripe, depending on the fan).
  • Xw to Yw to the white wire from the fan.
  • All bare and green wires together.
That's it. Turn the breaker back on and test.

Old 10-10-03, 07:37 AM
cainlo
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thank you so much for your help. Sorry it took so long to reply but after I read your advise it just made so much sense!! lol me & my stupidity! Thank you again. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite web sites.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: