Ballast for flourescent lighting

Old 10-10-03, 09:09 AM
Gromit
Visiting Guest
Ballast for flourescent lighting

When I flip the switch to turn on my kitchen light it will intermittently come on. The lights don't start to come on and then eventually do -- instead, if you flick the switch rapidly ( -- I know) it will come on... less and less frequently nowadays, and yesterday not at all. Anyway, does anyone out there know if I were to change out the ballast, would it fix my problem? Or, would it just be better to change the whole unit out? I've already tried putting in new bulbs, and that hasn't help.

Old 10-10-03, 09:51 AM
Jon_sparky
Visiting Guest
Hi,
This is an age old problem, the old flickering light syndrome!
I usually replace the lamps first, as this is easiest. If the problem presists, then I will change the ballast. If I were you, I would upgrade the fixture to T8 lamps, that is providing that it isn't already T8. You replace the "dark-age T12 ballast with the new electronic ballast, and replace the big clumsy T12 lamps with 1" dia. T8 lamps. The wiring is different as the lamps are parallel instead of in series. The advantage of this is that if one lamp burns out the other wil stay lit. The other advantage is that you will have a flicker free kitchen with a better color rendition.
how's that for a simple answer... Jon

Old 10-11-03, 12:19 AM
cem-bsee
Visiting Guest
you might hve a bad starter --
consider replacing fixture: 2 tube 24" cost= ~$15

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: