3 way dimmer

Old 10-20-03, 06:55 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way dimmer

Hi all,

I am trying to install a 3 way dimmer and I may need help. Ok, first it is in the stairway, third floor has a switch and a light, second floor has a light and a switch, again the first floor and the basement. The 3rd floor can be turned on and off by the switch on the 3rd floor. Same with the basement the light can be turned on and off by the switch in the basement.

Now I have installed a 3 way dimmer on the first floor (used to be just a switch and everything worked but no dimmer) to dim the lights on the first and second floor works fine, the lights dim from the first floor and turn on and off from both the first and second floor. My problem is that the lights on the third floor and basement do not work now. What have I done wrong? I know this is convoluted but if anyone can help please, do I need a 4 way dimmer and do they exist?

John

Old 10-20-03, 08:31 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Four-way dimmers do not exist.

So you replaced a 3-way switch with a 3-way dimmer, right? The only thing you need to do to make this work correctly is to identify the "common" wire before you remove the old switch and make sure that wire is attached to the common wire of your dimmer. Then connect the other two wires that were connected to the switch to the other two wires of the dimmer.

Some people get confused when the wiring to the old switch has more than three wires connected, usually when both the backstabs and screws are used.

Give us a complete picture of all the wiring in the box where the new dimmer is. Tell us how many cables, how many wires in each cable, the colors of the wires, and how everything is connected. Also tell us what you remember about how the old switch was connected.

Old 10-20-03, 08:45 AM
J
Thanks for the quick response. Well the common was connected to the old switch push in marked common. My problem is the 3 way only has three wires two black and one red. So which one is the common?

As to wiring two black wires, one connected to a switch next to the dimmer that is not in my circuit (so I am thinking this is the common) and one connected to two other black wires, one red and one white I think, I am at work so I have to look latter and make sure.

Thanks again,

John

Old 10-20-03, 08:45 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Let me see if I understand what you have.
1. 1 switch in basement controls basement lights. - not working
2. 1 switch on 3rd floor controls lights on 3rd floor. - not working
3. 2 3way switches controlling lights on 1st & 2nd floor. One is a dimmer and both switches are working fine.

Answer these questions and I will see if I can help you.

Did you work in any boxes other than the one 3way you changed to a dimmer?
Tell me all the wires in the box you worked on and what they are connected to.
Did you change any wires other than the 3 that were connected to the 3 way switch? You must have or it should still work unless you have a totally unrelated problem.
If you changed any wires in any other boxes tell me all the wires and connection in those boxes as well.

Old 10-20-03, 09:14 AM
J
Originally posted by joed

Did you work in any boxes other than the one 3way you changed to a dimmer?

No

Tell me all the wires in the box you worked on and what they are connected to.

two black, one red, one white.

3 way has two black and one red.

Did you change any wires other than the 3 that were connected to the 3 way switch? You must have or it should still work unless you have a totally unrelated problem.

So I have 4 wires might be the problem.

If you changed any wires in any other boxes tell me all the wires and connection in those boxes as well.

Old 10-20-03, 09:42 AM
J
Yes the 4th wire is your problem. It was most likely hooked to the common screw of your old 3way and was the power feed to the other two switches.
Here is what I think you had and how to fix it. The was a wire under the common screw and one pushed into the backstab connection. Take both those wires and connect them to the common of the dimmer(probably the red unless there is writing on the switch indicating otherwise).

How do you have the 4 wires currently connected?

Old 10-20-03, 10:37 AM
J
I have been trying different connections, black to black, red to red, black and white to black.

Black to black, red and black to black and white to red.

So I have not tried the common to the red. What a concept.

Again tonight when I get home.

Thanks again,

John

Old 10-20-03, 10:49 AM
J
The extra black wire is probably your hot to the other 2 lights.
I would try the 2 back wires on the swich red and the other 2 on the switch blacks.

Old 10-20-03, 03:11 PM
Four-way dimmers do not exist.

Four waydimmers might not exist but there are master and slaves that work together to get the same effect as a four way system

Old 10-20-03, 03:24 PM
J
Originally posted by joed
The extra black wire is probably your hot to the other 2 lights.
I would try the 2 back wires on the swich red and the other 2 on the switch blacks.
Thanks for all the help, I will let you know what happens.

John

Old 11-04-03, 05:21 PM
J
Well I worked on the switch wiring for awhile and finally decided that even though the original switch was a four way I only needed a single pole dimmer. So my original work wasn't wrong I just didn't need a three way switch. Anyway thanks for all the help.

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: