Gfci

Old 10-27-03, 04:44 PM
kevin siebert
Visiting Guest
Gfci

Okay, here's the background to the problem. In ground swimming pool with automatic cover. Due to water problems, last spring repairman suggested removing electric motor (has forward and reverse) when I closed the pool this winter. The breaker has a GFCI.

When I removed the three wires (black, green and white) I can't get the GFCI to reset. I've tried resetting the breaker at the circuit box several times. I used wire nuts to "close" the cover motor wires. Is the fact the ground on the wires coming into the motor not being "grounded" causing me to not be able to reset the GFCI?

Or has my GFCI just coincidentally gone bad? As you can tell my electrical knowledge is just slightly above beginner stage.
Suggestions (I know call an electrician is an option). Thanks.

Old 10-27-03, 06:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What else is on this circuit? are you sure the wires are isolated from everything? are there any other wires in this box? Did you open any other splices other than those associated with the pool cover motor.

Old 10-28-03, 05:52 AM
kevin siebert
Visiting Guest
no other splices broken. only wires coming into the box where the motor was connected are the three which I disconnected.

I have not taken apart the GFCI as of yet, coming out of the GFCI is a switch which controls the pool light (but with the cover closed and the motor disconnected I can't tell if it works or not) other than that I have yet to find anything else that doesn't work with the GFCI tripped.

The answer may be to reconnect the motor and see if the GFCI works, but I thought if it was simply a matter of grounding the original "green" wire going into the box it would be easier. Do you see a problem with grounding the green.

I do appreciate your advice.

Old 10-28-03, 06:18 AM
As long as the GFCI is wired correctly then it does not matter if the ground is connected or not. I suspect the GFCI is wired incorrectly or it is faulty if what you tell me is correct (there is no other load). A GFCI trips because it sences an inballance in one of the conductors. it may be that the wiring has gone bad due to the weather related problems you described in your first post. Is this a GFCI breaker or just a receptacle? What was the reason for turning it back on after you removed the motor. You will need to do a few tests if you have the proper test equipment (Voltage-Continuity tester) post back with additional info and I will instruct you how to and what to look for.

Old 10-29-03, 01:15 PM
kevin siebert
Visiting Guest
GFCI is receptacle. Receptacle is used to plug in submersible pump for draining water from top of pool cover. I have voltage continuity tester. Wouldn't the weather related problems have shown up prior to disconnecting the motor? which was the nexus action creating the problem. I certainly am not questioning you info as you clearly are much more knowledgeable than I. thanks again for your help.

Old 10-29-03, 06:25 PM
so if the GFCI is a receptacle and the only thing on the LOAD side is now disconnected (cover motor) then the problem lies with the receptacle itself. If the only wires left on the GFCI are the hot wires and they are connected to the LINE side of the GFCI and there is power to the Circuit the GFCI should reset Otherwise the GFCI is faulty.

I hope this made sense.
Let me know how this comes out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: