Light switch install problem...

Old 10-29-03, 01:06 PM
D.Levesque
Visiting Guest
Light switch install problem...

Hi all!

I bought some standard glow in the dark light switches to replace the original ones and while the instalation went well (didn't fry myself ;-)) when I turned on the breaker it kicked back off. Knew something wasn't right so I went to check the outlet that the new switch is on and there was an electrical burn on the bottom screw that secures the new switch to the (steel) switch box?

I've done this a millon times (not quite but you know what I mean!) and I've never run into this sort of problem? I've checked the connections, ground and all is secure, right where it's all supossed to be. Nothing is touching the wires nor are their any exposed...what am I over looking??

This little job (turning into a big one!) is being done in the laundry room in a new home, all wires are standard.

Thanks in advance,
-D.Levesque

Old 10-29-03, 05:00 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Good evening. The only suggestion that I can come up with is that one of the wires was looped under the switch toward the front of the box. When you turned in the screw to hold the switch in place you might have nicked the insulation. When you remove the screw you backed it out of the nick. Turn the breaker off, remove the switch and very closely inspect the insulation on the wires. If the screw is outside the box, I'm as puzzled as you.
Have a good day and please let us know what you found.

Old 10-29-03, 05:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You've already checked the obvious. So the most likely remaining possibility is that you miswired it. We might be able to spot the mistake if you provide enough of the details.

Old 10-30-03, 09:27 PM
D.Levesque
Visiting Guest
Still don't know...

Hi guys and thanks for the replies!

As for the screw being 'outside' of the box it is, with no loose wires obstructing it. I matched the location of the wires from the old light receptacle to as not to get the connection crossed but to no avail.

As I'm a little intimidated/confused I'm going to stay away for a bit, give my head time to think this through as I don't want to get frustrated and electrocute myself over something that's probly a simple 'overlooked' solution.

I'll keep you guys posted (soon) with a pic of what I'm attempting to accomplish and thanks!

-D.Levesque

BTW, great site! I'll be doing a lot of home (installing slate, finnishing my basement etc.) improvements so I'm sure going to be refering to this site time and time again!

Old 10-31-03, 07:59 AM
D.Levesque
Visiting Guest
Pictures of the new switch...

Looks like a standard job to exchange one switch to another but is thus so proving otherwise...

Maybe I need to hook it up different because the new one (see pic) has an illuminated toggle switch opposed to the standard non-illuminated one?

Old 10-31-03, 08:08 AM
D.Levesque
Visiting Guest
Opps!

Here is the picture...maybe!

Old 10-31-03, 08:10 AM
D.Levesque
Visiting Guest
Picture not working...?

It is in the .jpg format and not very big, should work but it's not?

I'll attach it again.

Old 10-31-03, 08:51 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What connection terminals does the illuminated wwitch have?

Old 10-31-03, 09:06 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So how many bytes is your jpeg? I see that this forum has recently increased the attachment limit from 2 bytes up to 10K. But that's still pretty small.

Old 11-09-03, 08:34 PM
D.Levesque
Visiting Guest
It looks like...

I'm an idiot afterall.

I knew there must have been a logical explanation for the troubles I've been having because no matter how you looked at it it just wasn't making any sense.

As I was driving by the supply (Home Depot) store where I bought the light switches I thought I would swing by just to see if per chance that maybe I was doing it right but with the wrong switch and sure enough, bingo, right beside the 'one' I bought were the correct ones that matched my wiring code. The principles of the two are the same but with a somewhat different approach to connect them.

As for the picture I tried to attach it was 8 bytes so I've given up...might have (although it never has before) something to do with me being on a Mac? Don't know and at this point in time I really don't care enough to find out! ;-)

To all you who answered many thanks for your time and efforts but I'm afraid that all the help in the world could not have prevented against the 'idiot' factor! ;-)

One to grow on!!

-D.Levesque

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: