I don't see any starters in my flourescent fixture

Old 11-01-03, 11:16 PM
matcho
Visiting Guest
I don't see any starters in my flourescent fixture

We have several 4' flourescent lights around the perimeter of our 3-season porch. The previous owners referred to them as "mood lights".

The problem is that they dont always light up. Especially in the wintertime. they flicker a lot and some refuse to come on all the way. I looked to see if there were any starters to replace. There were not.

Any ideas?

Doug

Old 11-01-03, 11:23 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A lot of flo's dont start well in cold weather, they need to be rated for it and the starter is internal in the ballast. You might not be able to use them in the cold.

Old 11-01-03, 11:25 PM
frenchsparky
Visiting Guest
those 4 foot flourescent lumaries are described as rapid start flourscent lumaires.

if you use the engery saving bulbs they will not come on in cold weather at all most flourscent bulbs can start at 50 deggress and above .

but there are few flourscet lumaires have " cold weather" ballast that can start at 0 or 20 below degress depending on which type it is.

best thing you can do is take the bulb off and take the cover off and read the label on ballast if can readble and see what bulb it can match . if still have troble with starting in cool everment best bet is change ballast to cold weather type they typically cost more than reguar ballast but it worth it .

also they do make electronic ballast too and i belive they can start in pretty cold too but check the label what is the min starting temp it will make the diffrence

merci, marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: