electrical problem

Old 11-02-03, 04:28 PM
sstolla
Visiting Guest
electrical problem

The light in my kitchen (ceiling fan) will not work. When in the switch is in the off position (it's a dimmer switch), the switch lights up as it should. The light and fan will not work. Everything else on the circuit works. I tried replacing the switch, but it still will not work. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Old 11-02-03, 04:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First of all, I hope that this dimmer controls only the light and not the fan motor. An ordinary lighting dimmer will greatly shorten the life of a fan motor.

Here are a few things to try:
  • Make sure the pull chains for the fan and light are in the "high" and "on" positions respectively. The postions aren't marked, so you need to go on trial and error.
  • If there is a remote control receiver in the fan, make sure you use the remote transmitter to turn it on and off.
  • Try replacing the dimmer switch with an ordinary single-pole light switch.
  • Make sure the bulbs are good. Try them in a lamp.
Is this a new installation, or did it just suddenly stop working after working fine for a long time, or did somebody change something?

Old 11-03-03, 03:22 PM
sstolla
Visiting Guest
Question electrical problem-ceiling fan/light fixture

Thank you for your suggestions! I will try hooking up a regular switch.

The ceiling fan does not have a remote. The dimmer switch did not operate the speed of the fan. I took all the light bulbs out (4) and tried putting in a new one (that I was sure worked) in one socket at a time. I can tell that the light is on high by the direction the dimmer switch it turned; I can't tell with the fan because it is controlled by a chain (speed and power). Nothing has worked!

What I find odd is that the switch still lights up in the off position (as it should) which makes me think that the switch itself is not the problem. Is there something in the fixture that could have burned out that would cause it to suddently stop working. The light was working fine. When I went to turn it on after it had been off for a few hours, it wouldn't come on. There was no flickering or any other indiciation as to what could have happened.

The fixture has been in place for a long time. I have lived in this house for five years, and I believe it was put in about five years before that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: