halogen work light question

Old 11-03-03, 06:52 AM
michael Winn
Visiting Guest
halogen work light question

I recently acquired 2 sets of halogen work lights on stands. Neither set would work. After taking them apart, I found a component causing the problem that I was not familiar with. It is in series with the lamps, and is in a metal TO3 case with two leads. It reads Durak 001 on the case. It intermitttently measures open and .2 ohms. Does anyone know what this is and its purpose? Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-03, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't know what a "TO3" is, but the device is probably some sort of heat limiter, or a fuse.
Check with the manufacturer of the lamp, or try taking the part to an electrical shop.

Old 11-03-03, 11:51 AM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
Sounds like some sort of heat switch that shuts off the light when it gets to hot.

Old 09-28-09, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tip switch

Hey, I was looking up Durak001 and found your old post from 6 years ago . . . I know it is late but for future reference that is a safety tip switch. It shuts the device off when it tips over.

Yeah, I thought it was a thermal overload as well until I remember not seeing a tip switch anyway else in the assembly. I am not sure what makes them go bad.

Anyway, perhaps this answer will help some else. Or perhaps you are like me and you device is still stuck in a closet somewhere.

Last edited by pcboss; 09-28-09 at 09:08 AM. Reason: removed link