Ceiling Fan/Light

Old 11-04-03, 08:02 PM
ghenryscheider
Visiting Guest
Angry Ceiling Fan/Light

I have a ceiling fan/light, I am trying to install and can't get the wiring right. In the ceiling I have four wires, a ground wire, a white wire, a black wire which is the onlly hot wire, and a red wire.

At the wall plug, I have 4 white wires that are tied together, a red wire, a black wire and a ground wire.

In the stitch I replaced only the red and black wires were hooked into the switch.

I have a new switch with a fan control and light dimmer. It has three wires, a black, red, and blue wire.

No matter how I hook it up i can't seem to get it right. the dimmer and the fan control don't work.

Can anybody help? I am extremely frustrated. The house is new and the wiring is supposed to be set up for installing a ceiling fan.

Old 11-05-03, 07:47 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We need a complete inventory of the wires in each box. At the ceiling, is there just one wire of each of the colors you mentioned? At the switch, does the box really contain four white wires but just one black and one red? And can you try to group the wires by what cable on conduit they arrive together in?

Old 11-07-03, 01:26 PM
ghenryscheider
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan/light problem

At the ceiling, I have one black wire (hot) one white wire, one red wire and a ground wire.

At the switch box I have 3 different groups of wires that enter the box. The group of wires that goes to the ceiling box is the only one that has a red wire in the group. (it also has a white, black and ground wire).

The two other groups of wires has white, black and ground wires. All the white wires are tied together, the black wires are tied together. (The black wires have a pigtaile wire that was hooked up to the original switch. The red wire was also hooked up the the original switch.

The light/dimmer- fan control switch onlyl has three wires coming from it, a black, blue and red wire.

Thats about all I can tell you. The switch that controled the light worked before I removed it.

Old 11-07-03, 02:20 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think I know what you need to do, but need to know what wires the fan/light has to be hooked up.

Old 11-07-03, 06:19 PM
J
Please tell us what the fan control directions state about how the wires are to be connected. We are very close to a solution for you. You gave us a good description, and the purpose of all those wires in the switch box is pretty obvious now.

Old 11-07-03, 08:50 PM
ghenryscheider
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan/light

Additional information:

The ceiling fan came as a unit. It has a blue light wire, a black motor wire and a white wire along with a green ground wire.

The switch directions are not very good at all. It tell you to refer to the diagram. The diagram is a little confusing though.

It shows power coming to the switch in a black and white wire.
The black (hot) wire is tied into the black wire on the switch, and then it shows the black wire tied into the blue wire going to the fan. THe red wire from the switch is going to the light and it is also tied into the neutral wire of the switch or white wire.

The switch is a Hunter allfan ceiling fan & light control switch. The model number is 27182 if that helps you.

Thanks

Henry

Old 11-07-03, 09:23 PM
J
Let's try again with the control diagram. You said that the control has three wires: black, red, and blue. Tell me again exactly what each of those three wires is shown in the diagram as connecting to.

Old 11-07-03, 09:32 PM
R
I will take a shot at this.

At every location connect the bare ground wires together. Connect these wires to the box if it is metal and to any ground screws or wires from the switches or light. Ground screws are painted green. Ground wires from lights and switches are either green or bare. This is the ground. It is never connected to a current carrying wire.

Leave the white wires connected together as they are at the switch location. Connect the white wire at the ceiling to the white wire of the fan/light. This is the return. Return wires are white, and carry current back to the circuit breaker panel (or fuse box). Return wires are never switched.

At the ceiling connect the black wire to the black wire of the fan. At the ceiling connect the red wire to the blue wire of the light. This should complete your connections at the ceiling.

At the switch you will need to separate out the black wire that is in the same cable as the red wire from the black wires that are connected together. Leave the pigtail wire in the group of wires. This should leave you with three wires that are not connected, the black and the red wire going to the ceiling, and the black pigtail wire out of the connected black wires. Connect the pigtail wire to the black wire of the switch. Connect the blue wire from the switch to the black wire going up to the ceiling. Finally connect the red wire from the switch to the red wire going to the ceiling.

This shoulc work properly.

Note: It is possible that I misunderstood what you said, and have the blue and red wires from the switch reversed. If this is true then swap them.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Old 11-07-03, 09:38 PM
J
Bob, that's a reasonable guess and the same guess I would have made. But I was a bit confused by Henry's last post, especially with such comments as "tied into the neutral wire of the switch".

Old 11-07-03, 09:55 PM
R
John,

I think he is misinterperting what he is seeing in the documentation. I do agree what he is aying does not make sense. Perhaps the wires are from the same cable and he is not taking that into consideration.

I just poked aroung the hunter fan web site (http://www.hunterfan.com) and found his controller. Unfortunately they do not show the wiring diagram. But they do describe the controller as needing three wires. I tkae this to mean power going in and fan and light control coming out.

Old 11-11-03, 11:17 AM
jeffalan66
Visiting Guest
This may help

My ceiling has 3 wires---black, white, copper. I hooked my black, white to my black, white on the fan remote Copper to box.. Hooked the wires from fan remote to fan motor. Blue to black/white(light), black to black, and white to white.
Works fine. Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-03, 07:46 PM
ghenryscheider
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan/light problems

racraft.

Still looking for the answer. It didn't work

I know that at the ceiling, I fee the connection is right.

At the switch all the white wires (3) are hooked together, the black wires are hooked together (3) with a pigtale. the ground wires are hooked together. Using the old switch, the black pigtale wire and the red wire are hooked to the switch. The switch works the light properly, the fan works continuously until you turn it off with the chain that is on the unit.

Hope this will help

Henry

Old 11-23-03, 07:57 PM
rasguy1
Visiting Guest
Only 1 switch in the room

ghenry-

I have a similar setup but it was due to the fact that I have 2 switches that control the light - hence the RED wire.

You did provide really good info - sorry to not be more of a help.

One thing you can try is to CAP the RED wire 1st, tie in the BLACK, WHITE and GROUND wires and see if the fan works.

I am unclear as to the use of the RED wire but it almost seems like it could be a run from another switch....

http://www.homewiringandmore.com/switchoutlet/3way/3waypwfxthrufx.html

Old 11-23-03, 08:28 PM
J
Let's try again with the control diagram. You said that the control has three wires: black, red, and blue. Tell me again exactly what each of those three wires is shown in the diagram as connecting to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: