bathroom wiring

Old 11-09-03, 10:37 AM
meg
Visiting Guest
bathroom wiring

my son in law added 3 new lights to my bathroom last night. He added it into the exsiting wiring from the switch. Now everytime we switch the breaker back on it shoots sparks and flips off so we have no lighting in 3 rooms. We live in a mobile home and I know the entire house needs rewiring but thats not an option right now. Hes checked everything and we cant understand why its shooting fire and wont stay on. AT first it stayed on for a minute till we turned the lights off but when we hit the switch the breaker blew and wont come back on. Its our first electrical project and something we arent real comfortable doing so we are a little nervous. Thanks for ANY help. We are quite desperate at this point. Thanks again

Old 11-09-03, 11:05 AM
sparks47
Visiting Guest
Bathrm Wiring

Is your son-in-law qualified? Need to know how how he tied into circuit, and how he progressed

Old 11-09-03, 12:10 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Obviously there is a problem with the new wiring he added.

Exactly how did he connect into the existing bathroom circuit? What wires were located at the switch, and how did he connect to them?

Old 11-09-03, 03:25 PM
meg
Visiting Guest
he wired it right into the existing switch normal wires were there the lights will come on till you turn the switch off then they blow is it possible that the switch is bad

Old 11-09-03, 03:29 PM
R
You have the wrong wires connected to the switch. I will try to help yoiu, but you have to tell me exactly how you have the wires connected.

Old 11-09-03, 04:00 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Boy, it seems that a large percentage of the problems we have here involve the words "switch loop" and "impossible" in the answer.

If the switch had a white wire connected to it before he started work (and I suspect it did), then he is attempting the impossible. He cannot wire new lights from the switch. He must wire the new lights by running the cable to the old lights.

If I ever write a book on home wiring, I'm going to cover switch loops on page 1. On page two, I'll explain how to find and reset a GFCI. On page three, I'll explain how backstabs fail. On page four, I'll tell you how to look for the little tabs on the side of receptacles when you replace them. On page five, I'll say what to do about dimming lights. On page six, I'll talk about why you can't connect your receptacle grounding wires to pipes or grounding rods or the neutral. On page seven, I'll tell everybody to spend $6 on the book "Wiring Simplified". If everybody who touched their wiring read those seven pages, we wouldn't have nearly so many posts here.

Old 11-09-03, 04:34 PM
R
John,

If you write your own book, why would you want someone to buy somebody else's book?

Won't you try to write a better book than Wiring Simplified (which I will give you is a very good book).

Old 11-10-03, 05:19 AM
meg
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help. Ive got someone coming in to look at it today because we rewired it back to its original state and though we now have lights back in the bedrooms and the bathroom closet the actual light and the outlet in the bathroom no longer work so its time to call someone in but thank you very much...by the way ill buy the book... thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: