Shop light

Old 11-09-03, 06:09 PM
Jen12
Visiting Guest
Shop light

I have a shop light with a 40 Watt bulb. The light stopped working. The bulb works on my other shop lights. The one side of the light glows red but not the other side. I can get the light to flicker on if I rotate the bulb but I can't maintain it for more than a split second. Any suggestions what I should try first?

Thanks for your help
Jenny

Old 11-09-03, 06:40 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would replace the bulb.

Old 11-09-03, 06:46 PM
Jen12
Visiting Guest
I did replace the bulb with the same result. Both the old bulb and the new bulb work on another shop light but not on this one.

Old 11-09-03, 06:56 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I assume we are talking about fluorescent lights here. I also assume that this fixture has more than one bulb, perhaps two?

You should always replace all the bulbs in a fluorescent fixture at the same time. If you haven't already done so, put all new bulbs in the fixture.

Another possible issue is temperature. If this bulb is installed in a cold room, that could affect its ability to light. Regular fluorescent fixtures do not tolerate cold ver well.

Old 11-09-03, 07:07 PM
Jen12
Visiting Guest
Yes we are talking about fluorescent bulb but this is a one light bulb fixture. This is located in my basement which is cold but my other lights of the same type are working fine.

Old 11-09-03, 07:12 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The ballast or the light is bad. try swapping the ballast with one from a working light.

Depending upon the age/type, it may be easier and possibly cheaper to replace the entire light if tha ballast is bad.

Old 11-13-03, 05:50 PM
Jen12
Visiting Guest
I bought a new light and replace the old one. It works great, thanks for the tip.

Jen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: