another phone jack question

Old 11-09-03, 07:30 PM
EricT
Visiting Guest
another phone jack question

Hi all-

Quick dummie phone jack question. I have a line running down an accessible unfinished wall next to a bedroom with no phone jack! I wanna tap in. Can I just cut the other line, splice away, mount the new guy, and all will work?

Kinda seems like that would be a simple wire in serial deal. It also seems too easy... and the way my home projects go, that alone makes me skeptical.

TIA

Eric

Old 11-09-03, 07:41 PM
CSelectric
Visiting Guest
Can you tap a phone jack into an existing line? Yes, but it's not the best plan in the world. If you are only going to use those jacks (both the new one you propose and the existing one being fed by that line) for voice (telephone) then it will work quite well. For years, that was how most all home phones were installed.

However, if you plan to use either jack for an internet connection then I would advise against your plan. Modern phone cable depends on the twisting of the pairs for much of it's capability. Every time the cable is broken and untwisted your data transfer speed suffers. Everytime you splice the wires your data transfer speed suffers. For data/internet useage, the concept of home run cable systems (each jack is wired directly to the main punch block) cannot be overstated. It is the single best way to assure maximum transfer speeds.

Old 11-09-03, 07:47 PM
EricT
Visiting Guest
Hey CS-

Thanks for the rapid reply!

This house is wired for 2 lines, one I plan on using for a fax line. Which that might effect. But otherwise, I am a high speed interenet guy only, thats over the cable. Couldnt care less about the phone wire in that respect. As long as I can talk!

I will keep looking for another way, but that might be it. Thanks for the tips.

Eric

Old 11-09-03, 07:57 PM
CSelectric
Visiting Guest
If voice and fax are your only useage, then tapping a line should be no problem. Just make sure your terminations and any splices are clean and tight, to cut down on the possibility of static in the phone.

But, if there's already a line there, then there's already holes drilled in the floor/ceiling. You may well be able to fish a new cable through those holes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: