confused

Old 11-10-03, 07:55 AM
peaustin
Visiting Guest
Question confused

I have a GGCI with a single pole toggle switch. I'm understanding that the switch can be use to operate a light fixture. I powered and tested the recepticle no problem. I'm confused and frustrated with the lights to the switch. What did i do wrong??

I think i may be bypassing the switch with my connections but i cannot figure out how to make the connection for the lights to operate off the same switch. Please help!!

Old 11-10-03, 08:36 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You asked, "What did i do wrong??" but you didn't tell us what you did. Can you provide more details?

Old 11-10-03, 08:46 AM
peaustin
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply John.

I took the neutral and the hot directly to coresponding terminals on the the GFCI. Power activated and tested by plugging in an elctric shaver.

Grounded light fixture to metal box. Pig tailed hot and nutral to GFCI. Lights stay on and switch not working. Disconnected and waiting reply.

Line in from panel is black and white...line from light fixture is black and white.

Old 11-10-03, 09:01 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Did you connect the light to the line side of the GFCI or to the load side of the GFCI?

Old 11-10-03, 09:06 AM
peaustin
Visiting Guest
to the line side. when i connected them to the load side, they stayed on. Switch didn't work. I thought the load side was to power another recepticle, not the light.

Old 11-10-03, 09:10 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am not familiar with GFCI devices that have a built in switch, so I am not exactly sure what you have, but I do know this.

If you connect to the line side of a GFCI then you have no GFCI protection, and you will get the bahavior you describe.

Does this GFCI/switch have both switched load and an unswitched load terminals?

Old 11-10-03, 09:38 AM
peaustin
Visiting Guest
thanks. i now know i need to supply the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: