Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

distance between TV Cable line and electrical lines (romex)

Old 11-10-03, 11:55 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

have been adding electrical outputs (ripping up the walls etc) and plan to run our cable connection through a wall near to where I have just added some receptacles ..... I also have a speaker connection to the Tv and a Antenna connection im going to run through the wall..

My question is how much room should i leave to avoid interference (if any) between the electrical connnections and the cable... speaker wire... antenna...

Any help apreciatted

Old 11-10-03, 03:25 PM
bhyman
Visiting Guest
I typically leave 6"

no problems thus far

Old 11-10-03, 03:50 PM
Nucleus
Visiting Guest
If you can, leave at least 1' and when you have to cross, cross at a 90 degree angle. I can also suggest running RG6 Quad Shield coax. Also, while the walls are open you may want to run a few extra for future use like a satellite or if you wish to share a component with everyone in the house...everyone can watch the DVD player from their own TV.

Old 11-11-03, 02:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Even if the electrical/audio and TV signals are next to each other it is unlikely to cause problems. The mains frequency is 60Hz and the TV signals will be in the UHF band - i.e. a few hundred MHz. Im assuming you are talking about receiving an off-air signal not cable or satellite. Any mains frequency being picked up by the TV tuner will be filtered anyway by a bandpass filter in the tuner. Also the TV signal is too small - in the region of microvolts - to interfere with the electric supply.

However, it is best to separate the audio and electrical feeds since the mains frequency is within the audio band. Also interference can cause frequency multiplication which can generate harmonics which may definitely be audible. You may want to consider shielding the audio cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: