Converting 220 Outlet to 110????

Old 11-10-03, 12:17 PM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
Converting 220 Outlet to 110????

I am not an electrician. So this may seem like a very dumb question to those people with electrical background.

In my garage I have a very large outlet that looks similar to an electric range. I think a welding machine was used here.

I have no use for this outlet. Can I convert this to a regular 110v outlet service withouth changing the wires back to the panel.

I would love to utilize this circuit as my main panel box is full now. I have a 6hp compressor that needs a dedicated service and this would fulfill my needs.

What do I have to do to make this work safe?

Old 11-10-03, 01:03 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The answer is maybe.

You will need to determine what size wire is involved and whether the cable contains two wires plus a ground or three wires plus a ground. You will also need to know the current breaker size. When you determine this, we can help you determine if you can proceed.

What type of plug does your compressor have? Does it state what sort of circuit it needs to be connected to?

You do realize that some work may very well be required at the panel even if you don't have to run new wire.

Old 11-10-03, 10:14 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'll be more optimistic than Bob. I think it is almost certain that you can do this, no matter what you find. I have these questions, which are quite similar to those asked by Bob:[list=1][*]Tell us exactly what the receptacle looks like. Choose from the ones on this web site.[*]Tell us what the plug on your compressor looks like. Choose from the same web site.[*]Tell us how many amps the breaker is that turns the power to this receptacle. That will be the number on the breaker handle.[*]Tell us how wide the breaker is (1 inch or 2 inch or something else).[/list=1]

Old 11-11-03, 05:01 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I get back with the information tomorrow

Old 11-12-03, 04:39 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
I hope I can answer your questions to that will give you the idea of what I have.

Answer to questions in your order.

1. Recptacle looks very similar to a electric range receptacle. Your page you referred me to did not have the one I have. Your page only showed up to 30amp.
http://www.dale-electric.com/pdf/page007.pdf
This page shows the type I have.
bottom row, middle receptacle.
3wire 50amp 250v.

2. My compressor is a craftsman 5.0 HP. Take a normal 110v receptacle outlet.

3. The breaker in my main panel that this is connected to is
70A. I noticed that his is the same circuit my electric range is tied too. The cable goes to my range from the panel then branches off with a cable from the range to my outlet in the garage that I refer to.

4. The breaker is close to 2"

The cable from that connects both the range outlet and the one in my garage is gray in color. Reads -- Type SE Cable Style U 600 Volts XHHW CONDS.

My hopes are that I can make up small breaker box in place of the 50amp outlet and then make up a few circuits for my garage.

Is this possible?

What would I need? Materials?

Thanks

Old 11-12-03, 06:36 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yikes, you have issues. You have a disaster waiting to happen.

The range and the garage plug should not be on the same breaker. Also, the breaker is oversized for both the range and the garage plug.

My thoughts.

You need to downsize the breaker for the electric range. i don't what it needs to be, but 70 amps is too large.

Remove the wires going to the garage from this circuit.

Depending on the size of the wires going to the garage (you still haven't told us that) you may be able to use those wires for a new 110 circuit to the garage.

All of this will require work at the main panel.

Old 11-12-03, 06:45 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
the cable as I stated the wire type which goes to both the range and the garage outlet. Same Size. The size in the panel looks like 1/4" or more in diameter of stranded cable. I didn't see a size.. the only number I seen on the cable was a (6) I think. Sounds like I should have an electrician take a look at it.

All of this was here when I moved in. The outlet in the garage hasn't been used as I have no use for it.

Old 11-12-03, 07:37 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is what is known in the technical terms of the trade as a "mess." You may want to have an electrician come in and sort out the numerous issues that Bob has identified.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: