looking for a specific garage light

Old 11-10-03, 12:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
looking for a specific garage light

Help! I have an old garage. It needs an exteriod light over the double bay garage doors.

I'm looking for what I think was an 1930's type of lamp that is shaped like a question mark with an umbrella sort of metal shade at the end.

I've seen it in an old mechanics bay from a 1930/40's mechanics garage.

And it would be especially nice if I could rig it with a motion detector. Optionally, I could set it up with a timer.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-10-03, 01:16 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Bomber410,
I know exactly what you are talking about. There are a couple of manufacturers still making these luminaires, mostly used in decorative lighting in restaurants, malls, etc. The style you are interested in is RLM reflectors. Does the reflector you are speaking of look like a flat disc with "waves" from the center out? That is a radial wave reflector. Another popular style is like an upside-down bowl, with longer sides. Over my garage, I have a green porcelain-enameled angle reflector light, like used to be used to light up signs.
Here is a link to a company that still makes them:

http://www.sperolighting.com/

In fact, my light is a 60+ year old Spero!
I installed a weatherproof outlet box near the fixture with a motion detector mounted on it. The motion detectors without built-in lights are available at large building centers.

Old 11-10-03, 05:38 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think we have us a match.

Thank you so much. These are great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: