Adding a Receptacle

Old 11-10-03, 04:11 PM
a12
Visiting Guest
Question Adding a Receptacle

I would like to install a receptacle in my foyer. On the backside of the wall that I want to install it in, there is a switch which controls a light in the hallway. My question is, can I feed the receptacle from this switch? I took the cover off of the switch and there is a black, white & ground connected to it. Normally, I have seen just two blacks hooked to a switch and the white neutral wires wire nutted together, but this isn't the case with this switch. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-10-03, 04:42 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, you cannot tap off this switch. This is a swith loop and contains no neutral. You will have to find another source to tap from, or go all the way back to the panel.

Old 11-10-03, 09:49 PM
bubinga1
Visiting Guest
Normally, I have seen just two blacks hooked to a switch and the white neutral wires wire nutted together, but this isn't the case with this switch.
In the case above you have the power coming into the switch box.
The power-in netural and the netural to the light fixture or switched outlet are wire-nutted together.

The power-in hot, (black) goes to one screw of the switch,and the black wire to the light fixture or switched outlet goes to the other screw of the switch.

IF this were your case now then you could wire a switched outlet or a full time hot outlet from this outlet.

Thanks, Tony D.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: