Light w/o a switch

Old 11-11-03, 03:55 PM
BenDRL
Visiting Guest
Light w/o a switch

Is it acceptable (or wise?) to install a floodlight which can not be turned off without cutting the power at my home's breaker box?

I have an existing floodlight which is controlled by a switch which is located in an undesireable location. I want to replace the floodlight with a special floodlight which can be turned on/off with a wireless remote. Since the floodlight can be controlled by the remote, I wanted to get rid of the wall switch since the wall switch is in an undesireable location. Any thoughts?

-Ben

Old 11-11-03, 04:06 PM
CSelectric
Visiting Guest
At face value, I see nothing wrong with that set up. Many lights are powered without benefit of a wall switch (occupancy sensors, motion sensors, photocells or timers are used instead.) In your case, my major concern would be the remote itself. Make sure you buy a good quality product, make sure you keep fresh batteries on hand and make sure you don't lose the remote (I'd never set my lighting up as you propose, because me and remote controlls don't stay together for long. )

Old 11-11-03, 05:53 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I also would not do what you propose, but cannot think of a reason why it would be wrong to do so.

I assume that you are going to leave the wiring intact, and simpy remove the switch, placing a wire nut over the wires. Just make sure that if you go this route that you put a blank cover over the switch box, or even leave the switch in place with no wires hooked up to it. It would be wrong to try to cover over the box or hide it in any way, it must remain accessible.

Old 11-13-03, 08:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

If you think you'll need to cut the power at the breaker fairly often, you can use a switch-rated breaker. Often used in lighting scenarios (usually commercial) where switches would be tampered with.

Old 11-13-03, 10:14 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I would leave the switch as is, but you can put a cover over the switch to keep people from using it. I have seen these plastic covers which cover only the toggle, and easily hinge open for access if needed. Thet simply discourage people from accidently operating the switch. My local Menards carrys them in the baby-proofing area, I think. They are UL listed, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: