Does this type of GFCI exist anymore??

Old 11-11-03, 09:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Does this type of GFCI exist anymore??

I never thought I would have such a difficult time finding an exact replacement for my current GFCI in the bathroom. I have searched so many many stores and internet sites and have yet to find what I am seeking.

I am looking for indoor GFCI's with 2 receptacles that are vertically (side) mounted. I did purchase one from a Mom and Pop hardware store that was found somewhere in the back amongst their junk and is no longer manufactured. It only lasted a year and was made by Eagle Electric. The original vertical mount GFCI's lasted for almost 20 years and were made by G.E.

I can't understand the difficulty because I find this style most adaptable to those huge plugs attached to the cord end of hair dryers and curling irons. Because they hang down so far, they end up partially covering the lower receptacle so that only one can be plugged in at the same time (this in on horizontal mounts). Heck, I find the same problem with some of those transformer plugs found with electronic musical equipment and even cell phone rechargers!!

Can anyone advise me where I can purchase the vertical mount GFCI, especially the new ones with the safety lock??

Thank you!
Old 11-11-03, 11:02 PM
Andrew's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 952
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Check with any good electrical distributor--They should be able to get one, as I know they are still in use. Look in the yellow pages under electric equipment and supplies.
Old 11-12-03, 07:04 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 317
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The ones I have used are Pass & Seymore or Levitron I believe
Old 11-12-03, 10:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thank you Andy and Sparky. I downloaded all of Leviton's and Pass and Seymour's PDF Catalog for GFCI's and neither manufacture an indoor vertical mount. Back to square one. Andy, I will try to contact a local electrical supply company this weekend to see if they can be of assistance. I'm still open for any other suggestions. Thanks again!

Old 11-13-03, 07:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I think your only chance at finding one it to get ahold of some old Eagle Electric units. You might want to stock up on a few if you can find some. Eagle is the only recent GFCI I've seen that uses that format.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: