generator hook up?

Old 11-12-03, 07:44 PM
david ahluwalia
Visiting Guest
Question generator hook up?

Recently I had to use my generator for the first time.While I just ran extention cord to a few items I couldn,t run my well.Well some neighbors and friend told me that they just pluged a cord from the generator to any 220 out let.And tis power the fuse box.I know that you have turn the main power into the house&switch off items the the 5500 watt gen won,t run.But what kind of hook up?The gen has a 4 pronged round type of plug,of which the gen came with a connector you can fit on to a 4 stranded cable.But the 220 out let in my garage is a 3 pronged dryer or oven type.I bouught a uni-versal conector but don,t know if it will work or where to put the wires?Y,X,W,G ? the cable has white green black red..

Old 11-12-03, 08:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your neighbors and friend are in violation of the electric code. There must be a interlocked disconnect of the utility before the generator contributes power. If they forget to open the utility main, you will back feed through to the power lines in the street. I have some friends that would get hurt.
You must use some type of transfer switch or transfer panel.

Old 11-12-03, 08:06 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is a very, very bad idea, quite illegal, and it makes you feel bad when you electrocute the lineman. Either use the extension cords, or buy and install a transfer switch.

Old 11-12-03, 09:37 PM
What brand and model of service equipment panel is installed in your home? There may already be an interlock available to fit your panel that will cost less than fifty dollars and transfer the power safely.
--
Tom

Old 11-14-03, 11:23 AM
Seabornman
Visiting Guest
I'm not going to argue about the safety of remembering to disconnect the main before you back feed the generator, although it is a common practice. However, verify your well pump can take the considerable voltage drops and other "dirty" electrical that a generator provides. My well man says that's why I fried my well pump - a 220v submersible.

Old 11-14-03, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally posted by hornetd
What brand and model of service equipment panel is installed in your home? There may already be an interlock available to fit your panel that will cost less than fifty dollars and transfer the power safely.
--
Tom
Can you give an example or link to such an item? Nothing I've ever seen in 15 years.

I do probably 2 or 3 generator hook-ups a month. Almost all have a well circuit. No plumber has ever said anything like that to me, and I know 20-30 plumbers.

Other that a main transfer switch, this is the ONLY safe way to hook up a generator!: http://www.gen-tran.com/

Old 11-14-03, 06:33 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/.../17301008.html

Check about 1/2 way down the page for "Generator Circuit Breaker Interlock Kit" Part #Q0CGK2 or Q0RBGK2.

Old 11-14-03, 06:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OK. One of those flippy things. I've seen them in gen panels a few times. I didn't know they were available separately.

Old 07-27-14, 10:21 PM
M
Submersible well pumps.

Your generator requires a L-14 male plug to obtain 240 watts which is required
to operate most submersible well pumps.
Note: To start the well pump it takes 3 times the amount of amps, so you
must have a generator that produces at least 7500 running watts or you chance
burning the well pump up.

Old 07-27-14, 10:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Please check the dates on posts before responding. This was an eleven year old post with no one involved still active on the forum. We always though need answers to current posts and we invite you to participate in those threads.

This thread is now closed. If you need help please start a new thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: