ELECTRICAL tester and appliance problem

Old 11-15-03, 12:13 PM
ALEXZ671
Visiting Guest
ELECTRICAL tester and appliance problem

I have been in touch with a member, who gave me great advice but some how I still must be doing wrong. I'll try and make this as short as possible. I have a socket and switch combination. One day my can opener didn't work. I purchased one and was sure I reconnected it right. When I use a tester, the red light lights. When I plug in a number of appliances, none of them work. Thinking I connected it wrong, I installed a receptacle with two sockets, rather than one socket and switch combo. Again, I inserted the tester prongs into the socket and the red light lit but when I plug in a few appliances, none work. All of the other outlets and switches in the house work fine, that go to this circuit breaker. I just don't understand, what is going on. Can anyone, including LCTRC, help me. Thanks. Alex

Old 11-15-03, 12:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I assume you have a simple two wire tester. Have you tested between all possible connections? The hot wire to ground, the neutral to ground and the hot to neutral?

You may also want to use a voltmeter to check the voltage on those same combinations.

Old 11-15-03, 05:58 PM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
Tell us what wires you connected to what on the new receptacle. What did the old switch control? How were the wires connected to the old switch/receptacle combo if you remember?

Old 11-17-03, 02:45 PM
ALEXZ671
Visiting Guest
ELECTRICAL - Tester and Appliance Problem

Hi racraft and joed. I have a two wire tester and tested between HOT wire to Ground, RED light lit bright, between NEUTRAL to GROUND, RED light did NOT light, between HOT to NEUTRAL, RED light lit but NOT as bright from HOT to GROUND. Anything you read, that sounds bad? I have not tested with a voltmeter yet but plan to tomorrow. I assume a reading of 115v should appear on the voltmeter? Thanks again. Alex

Old 11-17-03, 04:31 PM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
Sounds like you may have connected the receptacle in series with the switched load. What did the switch control? A light? Unscrew the light bulb and try the HOT to Neutral test again.

Tell us all the wires in the box and how you connected them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: