Can someone explain how to hook up this baseboard?

Old 11-15-03, 12:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain how to hook up this baseboard?

Hi-

I know I shouldn't be messing with this but I need to. I have an old house that has electric baseboard heat. The system in my living room broke. I replaced it with a new one. THere is one with a thermostat one it. And this unit controls another one in the corner of the room? Here's the confusing part?

I mean it should just be hooking up simple right, wrong, at least for my novice eyes...

On the new heater there are two hookups. Each with a black and a red wire off of them. This sits behind the switch itself...

Coming out of the wall are my wires? One RED, one BLACK and one WHITE, and the copper ground wire...

HOW THE heck do I hook this up? I ran the red one to the red one on the unit and the black to the black one on the unit.

I then ran the thin copper one to the baseboard itself, for grounding? WHere the heck does the white one go?

Can anyone explain how to hook this heater up? What is the white wire for out of the wall? NEUTRAL? Where does that one go? At least on the switch? I only have two wires on each switch? Not three?

If I can't figure this out, gotta call an electritian and look like a morron!!! As if I don't already....LOL

Thanks
Spankey

Old 11-15-03, 12:33 PM
R
The white wire is a neutral. A true 220 volt circuit does not require a neutral, as the current from each of the hot legs is equal.

A neutral is used fpr wome 220 devices when they contain a part that runs on 110. This might be a motor for an electric dryer, or a light for an electric oven. In the case of a baseboard heater, there are some units that have an integrated 110 VAC outlet. The outlet is fed using one of the hot legs, the neutral and of course the ground.

In your case your baseboard heater has no need for a neutral. You need to use a wire nut and cap the neutral off. Note that if this unit is in the middle of a run then you need to connect the two white neutrals together.

Old 11-15-03, 12:35 PM
S
Thanks BOB

Super fast reply at that. WOW.... I need to look into this deeper...

Spankey

Old 11-15-03, 02:02 PM
B
To clarify the statement from racraft - " In the case of a baseboard heater, there are some units that have an integrated 110 VAC outlet. The outlet is fed using one of the hot legs, the neutral and of course the ground. "
It is not permitted to connect integrated receptacle on a baseboard heater to the heater circuit. See NEC 210.52, 2nd paragraph.

Old 11-15-03, 02:08 PM
R
I suppose that I should have said that there used to units with an integrated outlet...

Old 11-15-03, 02:29 PM
S
Thanks again

Well I found instructions online here http://www.shopfnc.com/2500wiring.pdf .... This is my exact heater... These instuctions were MUCH better than the one that came with the heater. Although, I am NO electritian, I can NOT knock thier instructions...... To them I am sure its totally clear!!!

The only strange thing is there are ONLY three wires coming out of my wall to the main heater? And somehow after hooking up the new heater CORRECTLY, they both power on now together? Shouldn't there be another set of wires running from the controling heater to the corner one? Strange? But they both work together now....

Thanks again for your speedy replies... I appreciate your insight and help so quickly.....

Spankey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: