Recessed lights install in ceiling tile...+ gap?

Old 11-17-03, 09:18 AM
bobbyo8
Visiting Guest
Recessed lights install in ceiling tile...+ gap?

Hi, I am finishing off my basement and installed 20+ 6" cans in various rooms. Most rooms will be finished with "Ceiling Max" type of ceiling. (For those of you not familiar, it looks like a drop ceiling but is installed with PVC strips directly on furring strips on the ceiling joists.)

Now, I already installed the cans to pass code, so the lips protrude down approximately 1/2" to 5/8" below the ceiling joist hight. If I add furring strips THEN the ceiling max tiles, the cans will be REALLY recessed - probably 1"-2" up from the surface of the tiles. Cutting the hole in the tiles isn't a problem.... but....

Can I still install the light bulb and trim "correctly" to the can being that the bottom lip of the can isn't flush with the ceiling? Will this be a gap problem, or will it not fit?

Thanks in advance....

Old 11-17-03, 09:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe in most rescessed cans you will find small sheet metal screws that will allow you to adjust the amount of projection of the can through the finish ceiling. Simply locate the 3 or 4 screws loosten them and adjust the inner canopy flush with the new ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: