finding wiring BEFORE i drill

Old 11-17-03, 03:07 PM
SVDTiger
Visiting Guest
Question finding wiring BEFORE i drill

hello all, i need to mount some things in a mobile home bathroom. ie: medicine cab and towel bars and i dont want to drill any wires.

i removed the plates from the switches and gfi plug both of which are on the wall i need and i cannot tell if wires run up or down?

im not lucky enough to just run the screws
either. any ideas pros? thank you much

Old 11-17-03, 03:10 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't drill holes or use screws longer than 1.75" and you should be okay.

Old 11-17-03, 03:14 PM
SVDTiger
Visiting Guest
thank you john. i was just leery of trying to run the srews as we just got this MH and i really dont want to short any wires.

so 1.75 or less. i got it.

Old 11-17-03, 04:08 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My advice is based on the assumption that you have 1/2" drywall. If your finished surface is thinner, make the holes and screws correspondingly shorter.

You can buy combination stud/wire sensors that are supposed to find wires, but I have no idea how effective they are.

Old 11-17-03, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The newer stud/wire finders are pretty good for this stuff. Of course you don't need to go out and get the same kind we use (read: Expensive) Get a better grade unit from the big orange type store and you shoud find most everything in the walls.
Zircon makes some good ones.

Old 11-17-03, 05:06 PM
SVDTiger
Visiting Guest
thanks john and speedy. not sure about wallboard thickness. i do know said screws are 1 and 1/8" . i would have thought i could see the wire run by removing the covers but in this house there seems to be some sort of holder like a plastic emt wire clamp at rear of box and thats it.

ill look at the big orange store at the zircon brand and see if i can afford one. i do know i cant afford another home. so the zircon finder is a bargain.

our old MH had aluminum wires that i found several rodents welded to . can we say 7 smoke alarms in a 60' box? or tell the wife all is well and wait until she is asleep and sneak in and trip the main?

she and myself have been in 4 separate house fires so maybe our luck is better than i thought after rethinking what i said earlier. so i take no chances with wiring or smoking in our new home. especially with wife being handicapped. thanks guys i really do apreciate your time and posts. john

Old 11-19-03, 06:53 PM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
They also make a cheaper probe style that will "chirp". Faster it chirps, closer you are to the wire. Watch the wall depth too. Some of those older moble homes only have 2" deep interior walls. All else fails, trip the circut before you drill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: