grounding

Old 11-17-03, 08:19 PM
benfos
Visiting Guest
grounding

Hi
Can someone comment on electrical/plumbing grounding?
e/g Connecting ground wire between cold & hot water pipes.
why is this a good idea?
In a house with well water with properly grounded (with ground rod) electrical should plumbing be grounded to electrical?
A friend cant understand why he should do these things.
Thanks

Old 11-18-03, 10:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe it is a safety issue. Since metal pipes conduct current, if for any reason a wire was to for example work itself out from a receptacle and then fall on a pipe, the pipe would become live. Any person using the fixture at the end of the pipe would be electrocuted. By grounding the pipe if this were to occur the resulting overload on the breaker would cause it to trip.

Reason you need to connect the ground wires on the hot and cold pipes is that only the cold pipe which arrives at the house is connected to the ground. However, the water heater may break electrical continuity and a so the ground wire must be manually bridged to ensure that all the plumbing in the building is grounded.

Old 11-19-03, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The most important fact is the one stated by rav12 in the previous post. If an electrical fault finds a water pipe it will open a breaker preventing someone getting electrocuted.

In actuality only the cold water pipe needs to be "bonded". The correct term is bonding. You are physically and electrically eliminating a potential for voltage between two ground sources. The hot and cold piping will always have a connection. The things you need to be concerned with are water softeners, filter, etc.. These are almost alway made of plastic and will interrupt the bond.

I've even had to bond an all metal drain system in a house on a slab. The drain had a good "ground" and the water piping was correctly bonded. This made the potential for voltage. two separate sources of ground. I had 50 some volts from the basin faucet to the shower drain. I "bonded" the drain to the supply pipes and the voltage went away.
The earth is like a big potato, like the one you made a battery out of in elementary school. If you take a voltage reading from two points 20 feet apart in the groung you will have some voltage.

Old 11-19-03, 06:40 AM
benfos
Visiting Guest
thanks for responding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: