electrical run to outbuilding

Old 11-18-03, 08:39 AM
eutectic64
Visiting Guest
electrical run to outbuilding

I want to run a 60 amp 250V circuit from existing house panel, to my workshop,outbuilding. Distance is about 30 feet max.
I want to run it to a 8 circuit panel in the building with a ground.
Since most of this will run underground, what kind and size of conduit should I use and what wire should I run through it?

Thanks, Chris from Waco, Texas

Old 11-18-03, 09:01 AM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Hi eutectic64,
You could use 3/4 sch.40 PVC (minimum size) buried a minimum of 18 inches to the top of the pipe, w/ 3#6 and 1 #10 ground THWN rated wire, to the garage. At the garage panel, keep the neutral and ground wire separated from one another. Do not attach them to the same bus. If your panel does not come with a separate ground bar, one can be purchased separately. Drive a 1/2" X 8' ground rod at the garage and install a continuous (unspliced ) wire # 8 or larger from the ground bus to the ground rod.

Old 11-18-03, 09:06 AM
solipsist9
Visiting Guest
or you could save some digging (if you're digging by hand) and use rigid metal or imc conduit and only go 6" deep. pvc must go 18" deep. you can also then use the conduit as your ground. much more protection.
john

Old 11-18-03, 11:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Or if the digging is easy (and 30-feet isn't that far), you could use 6/3 UF-B buried 24" deep and protected with conduit only while above ground and to the bottom of the trench on each side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: