a plug with a light switch

Old 11-19-03, 09:44 AM
ucandoit
Visiting Guest
Question a plug with a light switch

I have a plug with a light switch. I know where the electrical input goes but I don't know how to connect the lamp to the switch. The lamp has a white and a black wire. I'm not sure where to connect them. Can anyone help?

Old 11-19-03, 01:32 PM
bubinga1
Visiting Guest
Not quite sure what you mean by a "lamp"?
Do you mean you want to hardwire(dirict wire with no plug) a light fixture to a outlet?
Does this help?
basic Light

thanks, Tony D.

Old 11-19-03, 04:45 PM
rob1kva
Visiting Guest
Are you refering to a cord switch for a floor or table lamp? If that is the case then this is the scenario; white from the plug does not get cut but goes thru the switch directly to the lamp. The black from the plug goes to 1 side of the switch & the black from the lamp goes to the other side of the switch. If this is not the case we need more info post back

Old 11-21-03, 11:33 AM
ucandoit
Visiting Guest
Talking a plug with a switch

When I said lamp I meant to say wall light fixture. Thanks for the help. I got the plug and the light working.

Old 11-21-03, 11:39 AM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
The plug switch combo will have 4 screws.

2 of them will be tied together and brass colored. Connect the incoming hot(black wire) to one of these.
Connect the white wires together with a pigtail and conncet the pigtail to the silver screw on the opposite side.

Connect the black wire to the lamp the the single brass screw on the same side as the silver screw.
This will leave the receptacle always hot. If you want the receptacle switched, swap the two black wires.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: