speaker wiring....

Old 11-19-03, 04:25 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
speaker wiring....

I know im a little off topic but hehe kinda of related...

I am doing remodeling right now and I have the walls ripped up pretty good at this point so im Thinking of running speaker wires incase future Ht setup..

Heres my newbie question... Do each of the wires that go to a speaker have to go directly back to the receiver or can you do it more like you would with electric romex bring one wire 10-15 feet then make pigtails off of it to send it in different directions to the speakers...

btw im using 14 gauge wire

any help aprreciated...

Old 11-19-03, 05:53 PM
ALU_in_MN
Visiting Guest
You are probably going to want to bring them all back to a central location. Driving more than 2 pairs of speakers (other than all the surround channels which the AMP designer accounted for) will seriously stress most amplifies.

You're going to need a speaker switch-box unit to regulate the impedance load that the speakers place on the amp.

My model is a Niles HDL-6 and has served me well.

My house was already wired in 6 rooms when I bought it, but them I found out what happens when music teachers work on electrical systems. 'Nother story...

p.s. I like Music teachers. Honest.

Old 11-19-03, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All wires are "home runs" back to the receiver.

Depending on the type of system you are doing determines where the wires should go. Most new home theater receivers are set up for 7.1 surround. This means; 2- front channel speakers, 2- rear, 1- front center, 1- rear center, and a sub. The sub doesn't get a speaker wire. It get a signal from the amp from sinle phono plug wire.

Don't forget. You cannot use regular zip type cord for running inside walls, regardless if it's the good Monster type stuff. You need specific wire approved for use in the walls.

Old 11-19-03, 08:46 PM
ALU_in_MN
Visiting Guest
Ugh. No zip-type wire, eh? All 6 runs in my house were wired with slowly deterioriation regular-old speaker wire. It takes quite a bit of solder flux to get good solder joints on the stuff now, too, so I can see why.

Tim, do yourself a huge favor and don't scrimp on the wiring!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: