SOME kitchen outlets not working

Old 11-22-03, 07:02 PM
kathyjm
Visiting Guest
Question SOME kitchen outlets not working

Hi there! I'm asking this question in hopes of being able to tell my husband something! I am not the 'do it yourselfer' he is. We have a problem with some of our kitchen outlets.

From what we can tell, there are 4 outlets (one on either side of the sink, one accross the kitchen, and one wall outlet beneath the kitchen window) and the hood over the stove have stopped working. This happened about 7 months ago and our landlord replaced a fuse at the breaker. It's worked fine up until now. Initially when they stopped working again we would trip the circuit breaker and all would work fine again. that's not working any more. However there have been a few times when the outlets mysteriously start working again for a few minutes (we know this because the light will come on over the stove) then go back out. Interestingly, the appliances all still work, even the garbage disposal where the switch is with the non working outlet.

My husband feels really confident in fixing this (though he hasn't yet -heehee) but I'm the worried wife thinking he's going ot electricute himself

Please give us some ideas!!

Old 11-22-03, 08:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nowhere in your post did you mention GFCI. Do you know what a GFCI is, and if so, what steps have you taken to rule that out as the cause?

Also, please tell us where you are (at least the country).

Old 11-23-03, 02:44 AM
noxx
Visiting Guest
My first thought was GFCI as well John (as it always should be in a kitchen or bath problem) but the on-off-on nature of it leads me to think otherwise.

Tract homes will always have a multiwire branch home-run to one counter-top recep to provide the code required two small appliance circuits. I would power the system down and have a poke in that home-run box for a loose nut, or failed neutral, which is common if the finish-guy ended up with both circuits on the same phase.

Would like to know for clarification where the GFI is located in this scenario tho. If one is not present, now is a fine opportunity to install one.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-23-03, 06:43 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is something that your landlord should hire an electrician to fix. That's why you pay him all that money every month.

Old 11-30-03, 06:21 PM
kathyjm
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your input! I did finally talk my husband into calling the landlord instead of poking around (though he hasnt made that call yet, i suppose i will have to...guess he feels like less of a man?).

i'll let you know how it turns out!

Old 11-30-03, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear your choice.

Bolted Fault nailed it right on the head!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: