designing circuits

Old 11-23-03, 08:32 PM
mmills
Visiting Guest
designing circuits

I'm remodeling a bathroom. All the wiring will be replaced.

My plan calls for 2 new 20 amp circuits. One circuit will be dedicated to the bathroom heater (1600 w).

The other circuit will be for the hall lights, bathroom lights, bathroom fan and bathroom outlets. All the lights and outlets will be done in parallel. The lights are recessed, 2 to a switch. I could hook them up in series, if that's more appropriate.

I haven't found a webpage that discusses parallel versus series options, so I'm just guessing on this stuff.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 11-24-03, 06:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
all A/C electric is hooked up in parallel for residential applications.As for the bath the national electrical code requires that you install a dedicated 20 amp (GFCI protected) receptacle circuit for the bath that has no other outlets. In addition to your 15amp general lighting circuit and the circuit for the electric heat.

Old 11-24-03, 07:06 AM
mmills
Visiting Guest
Sparky,

Thanks for the info on the separate GFCI circuit. My plans called for 2 extra circuits for 'later use'. I guess later came soon than I expected.

I think the house was originally wired in 50s (built in the 20s). The 'working' circuits have a kind of 'fabric' insulation. The stuff has the feel of cardboard.

I'm going to rewire everything, but in stages. First, I'll drag 8 to 10 circuits up into the center of the attic (2 more than I think I need). Once that's set in place, I'll finish the bathroom remodeling. After that's done, I'll replace the rest.

Mark

Old 11-24-03, 07:28 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Note that within a single bathroom you can have all the electric on the single 20 amp circuit. This means that the bathroom lights can be on the circuit with the wall outlet(s), but only within this bathroom.

Old 11-24-03, 09:02 AM
mmills
Visiting Guest
Just a clarification.

When I said I was dragging 8 to 10 circuits into the middle of the attic, I was saying that I'd pull a bundle of 8 to 10 cables to the center of the attic and install a junction box for each (with labels). I then tie in the needed 3 to 4 cables for the bath, and leave the rest for latter in my interminable remodeling efforts.

I used to enjoy spending time on the computer or going to the movie. I discovered that I never got anything done, though. Now, I just get up on all weekend mornings, have a cup of coffee and head to the current remodeling site. No morning computer projects allowed. Sitting in front of a computer is allowed only when at the office or when too tired to lift a hammer.

Also, no thoughts about 'when will this be done' allowed. The end of a hammer blow is when the hammer comes down. Why does anyone have to think any further?

Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: