Severed underground phone line

Old 11-26-03, 05:45 AM
Korrick
Visiting Guest
Severed underground phone line

I found my phone line with my shovel last night. Yarg! Phone company can't get to it for a couple days. I did the same thing in our last house and tried to patch it with the standard little round phoneline splicers. It didnt work. Is there a way I can do this myself. I really dont want to be without phone service through the Thanksgiving holiday.
The line is solid black plastic, making it difficult to expose and strip the wires with a knife. The standard wire stripper obviously wont work.

As I recall, the guy that fixed the last time had some sort of protective device that he stuck both ends into to splice then used silicon to seal it. Anyone know where I could find such a beast? or have other ideas?

Old 11-26-03, 11:51 AM
vermontdoc
Visiting Guest
I'm a total rank amateur, but i did such a thing last fall, and it's worked so far,

the wire has a plastic jacket and then a coiled metal 'spring' around that, peel off the jacket and unwind the spring. expose enuf to make a splice (I had to add some wire) and coated the mess with pvc glue (each individual wire) then electric tape, repeat, then glued and taped all 4 wires together, then coated the whole works with silicon and wrapped it up in plastic. maybe this will get you through the weekend till some real electricians reply.

Old 11-26-03, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why didn't the 3M round splices work? This would be a fine solution until the phone co. can come out to do a real underground splice.

Old 11-26-03, 09:04 PM
dad2three2001
Visiting Guest
like the 1st guy said is for short distance to phone box, may be e wire which is just real thick rubber/plastic, use dike paralell to wire to strip and just temp them together with any wire and use elect. tape so they don't short out or ground out if in wet location just put on top of plastic bucket so it's not submerged. 2 wire only.

the other wire direct burried with coil be carefull use needle nose to un twist and then strip and go color to color. dad2three at yahoo.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: