par 60w bulbs in a A19 type recessed light?

Old 11-26-03, 01:34 PM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
par 60w bulbs in a A19 type recessed light?

I noticed my electrician used 60w halogen par type bulbs in my outdoor recessed lighting for an overhang. The light is a Halo H7UIC fixture, and the trim (the limiting factor from what I've seen as far as what bulbs you can use) is a bathroom type diffuser lense (170PS). It looks like he removed the reflectors to get it in, and it looks ok, but won't this overheat? Is there a better baffle/trim he should use for an outdoor overhang with halogen bulbs? I prefer more light offered by the halogen bulbs, so would rather a different trim than one that required 60w A19 bulbs.

Thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-03, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First off the "reflector" is not a reflector. It is a heat shield and is integral to the IC rating of the can. He should not have removed them.

Second, way too many electricians confuse wet location with damp location. Most all trims are ok for damp locations and the 170's are not necessary since an overhang is only a damp location.

I would replace the trims with a 310P type open baffle trim and use a 50PAR30 lamp. These are short lamps and will not protrude below the trims with the heat shield correctly in place.

Old 11-26-03, 08:43 PM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I suspected as much. So, with the 310P, I see the options include 90w par38 and 75w par30. I will be using a dimmer and see no reason in going as bright as allowable, to have the widest range of brightness when I need it (the over hang is 9 1/2 ' high and provides the only light's shining on that area of the yard)
I actually don't see the light you mention listed. Is that a 50w bulb?

thanks,
Tom

Old 11-26-03, 08:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They make a 50PAR30. It may not be listed as they usually list the maximum wattage.

Old 11-26-03, 08:53 PM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
Wow, now I know why they call you "speedy" Petey!

Thanks. Looks like he would have saved some money with the open trim anyway.

Old 11-28-03, 08:19 AM
Dosperado
Visiting Guest
On a side note, while looking through some of my old quotes from other electricians, I actually found one had specified the 310P trims with PAR30 65W bulbs.