At first it worked, then it didn't

Old 11-27-03, 12:53 PM
kralspace
Visiting Guest
At first it worked, then it didn't

Here's another one that I am pondering. Again, I have another outside light on a inside switch. I replaced the outside light with a flood light and it didn't work. I tested before I started and the old light worked from the switch.

I took the light down and tested the wires, but had no current. I then opened the switch box and tested the two lines and neither had current. I rechecked the breaker box and all the breakers were on.

I used a simple neon circuit tester and it works on other plugs. I'm not sure what to do next. The light box is on the wall accessable from the attic. I guess I should try to follow the line in the attic? Is there something else I could do first?

Old 11-27-03, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Have you checked all GFCI breakers and outside GFCI receptacles to see if any need to be re-set?

Old 11-27-03, 04:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is this just a simple flood bulb? Or are you talking about a whole fixture? If the latter, does the fixture have a motion and/or light detector? If the former, have you tried the bulb in another place (such as an inside lamp) to make sure it's good?

We have some terminology issues which are preventing a complete understanding of what you are saying. I assume that you are checking for voltage, not current. Is that correct? Voltage is always a relative difference between two points, so we don't really know what you are talking about unless you tell us both points you put your probes on. Also, could you tell us what you mean by line. Is this a wire or a cable assembly? Also, can you tell us what you mean when you say you rechecked the breakers? Was that merely a visual inspection? Visual inspections are never really adequate. You need to actually turn the breakers off and back on again.

Old 12-11-03, 06:41 AM
kralspace
Visiting Guest
Problem solved. I turned off all the breakers and then turned them back on. The light worked after that. A visual of the control panel was not enough proof that the breaker was properly set in the "on" position.

Also, I have been reading several books on home wiring and electricity, as well as having a favorites set up for FOE. I will try to use the correct terminology in the future so that I don't cause confusion in my request for information.

Thanks again for all your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: