roughing in a new garage

Old 11-27-03, 07:02 PM
skotx
Visiting Guest
roughing in a new garage

Hi all,

I am nearing completion of a detached, two-car, frame garage and am anxious to begin the electrical work. I am a complete beginner and have spent the last couple of weeks researching as much as possible on the internet. I spoke to the local inspection office and was informed that they follow the 2002 NEC, so I have procured this from a friend and have been looking through it.

I have two specific questions:

1) The garage will have unfinished walls, so is it ok for me to use nonmetallic boxes for all outlets and switches? I couldn't find any restrictions on this in the NEC, but a website had mentioned that metal boxes may be required.

2) If I run wire across (not along, in my case) the roof trusses to power ceiling outlets, can I use NM cable or must it be armored to protect someone from potentially damaging it (used for storage or what not)?

Though the garage will be unfinished for now, I want to run the electrical as if it will be finished in the future.

Thank you,

Scott

Old 11-27-03, 07:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
(1) Nonmetallic boxes are allowed in garages by the NEC, and they are commonly used. However, some inspectors may not allow them. If you have doubts, call your building department.

(2) What constitutes a risk of physical damage is a judgement call by your inspector. The NEC does not specify this in detail. If you are going to use the area for storage, then by all means protect the cable. Otherwise, tell your inspector that you plan to finish the ceiling.

Old 11-27-03, 08:53 PM
skotx
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply John. Always best to just ask the city, I suppose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: