question on installing drop ceiling fluorescent lighting

Old 11-28-03, 01:57 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
question on installing drop ceiling fluorescent lighting

I bought those 2*4 panel drop ceiling flourescent lights. The ones i purchased didnt include the metal "whip" . can i just take a 4-5 ft piece of romex and run it into an electrical box? Does this meet code?

Old 11-28-03, 05:38 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
NEC 336-18 Exception #3. This seems to permit not more than 4 1/2 feet [unsupported] for a connection to "lighting fixtures or equipment." [99 code]
This seems to allow it. My own experience has been always to use whips of flex or MC cable.
How do intend to support these fixtures?
~peter

Old 11-28-03, 11:48 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally posted by P Michael
NEC 336-18 Exception #3. This seems to permit not more than 4 1/2 feet [unsupported] for a connection to "lighting fixtures or equipment." [99 code]
This seems to allow it. My own experience has been always to use whips of flex or MC cable.
How do intend to support these fixtures?
~peter
the fixtures are supported via the main tee on the drop ceiling. I hope this is the information you were seeking

Old 11-30-03, 03:58 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
I ask because the Code also requires these drop in lights [troffers] to be screwed or attached to the grid with clamps to the grid.
Furthermore, some or many local jurisdictions require that the fixtures be supported [loosely] by two ceiling grid wires at diagonally opposite corners. These grid wires cannot be the same as those supporting the grid. Interrogate your local building inspector about this.
~Peter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: