want to have outlets on an on/off switch

Old 11-29-03, 12:04 PM
mgazer
Visiting Guest
want to have outlets on an on/off switch

I have 2 power outlets right behind each other - one on the inside on my house, the other on the outside. I want to plug in some lights to the outside outlet and instead of going outside to plug/unplug the cord alll the time, I want to install an on/off switch inside my house to control these outlets.

Can someone point me in the direction for some easy steps on how to do this?

Fyi, there is a switch already installed above the inside outlet which controls an outside light to my patio. Although I don't want to have this light on the same switch as the power outlets, I wonder if there is someway to use it for my purposes???
Thanks!
MG

Old 11-29-03, 01:47 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One possibility is to replace the interior receptacle that "feeds" the exterior receptacle with a "combination" switch & receptacle device, the switch-section of the device controlling the exterior receptacle which MUST be a GFI receptacle.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-29-03, 04:50 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could do this with any of a number of remote control devices.

If you would rather do this with wire, then just cut a hole in the inside wall directly above the outside outlet. Run a 12/2 cable from the outside receptacle box to the hole (might be a little tricky due to the insulation). Install an old-work box in the hole and connect the 12/2 to a switch in that box. Try to preserve the vapor barrier.

Once you get that far, post back for final connections in the outside receptacle box. When you do post back, be sure to tell us everything you see in that box.

Old 11-29-03, 07:03 PM
mgazer
Visiting Guest
adding switch to outlet

well, I opened up the outlet on the inside of the house and there are 2 sets of wires coming in. I assumed that the outside outlet was connected in series AFTER this inside outlet so I replaced the inside outlet with a switch (blacks to switch, piggybacked whites). Well, turns out that turning the switch on and off does NOTHING to the power at the outside receptable. This would mean that the outside outlet is connected BEFORE the inside one on the series, right???

That being the case, how can I rig this thing up so that I can control the power to the outside receptable from inside? I don't want to start punching holes in the plaster and I have ZERO experience fishing wires through walls..

Is this a job for an electrician??!!!
Thanks,
M

Old 11-29-03, 07:45 PM
J
Did you verify that these two outlets are even on the same circuit?

Old 11-30-03, 06:16 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only way to have a switch control an outlet, no matter where it is located, is to have the switch wired before the outlet. This does not necessarily mean that the switch has to physically be before the outlet, but it must be so electrically.

If you have an outlet that is wired before another outlet then you can install a switch to control the second outlet, but it will also control all other outlets that are after the switch. If you have an interior outlet that is before your exterior outlet then you should be able to install the switch. However, it does not sound like this is the case.

As John suggested, I would verify that these outlets are on the saem circuit, and determine what else is on the circuit. You may find other outlets on the same circuit that you would not want switched even if it were possible to install a switch.

Based on your original post, I am thinking that the best solution would be to install a switch in the same wall space (between the same studs) inside the house. You would only have to fish one cable down to the exterior outlet.

I would not go searching for an outlet on the same circuit and attempt to install a switch before the outside outlet. You will end with a switch in an unusual location (most likely a foot or so off the floor) and perhaps in a room with no clear view of the outside.

Old 11-30-03, 09:27 AM
J
I have removed the semantic discussion so we can get back to the original problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: