weird outlet

Old 11-29-03, 02:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
weird outlet

I have this odd outlet in our bathroom and I am trying to figure out if it can be changed to a regular outlet. It is tan and like a small box that sticks out of the wall. there is an outlet on the front as well as a small switch for the bathroom lights to go on and off. It is not like a regular outlet and switch because I cannot find a cover for it.

Can anyone tell me what this is
Old 11-29-03, 02:52 PM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 1,983
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Tan" suggests a "Wire-Mold" device/fitting. Perhaps you sketch this outlet and seek advice from the Wire-Mold "experts" that you will find at an electrical supply-house.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-03, 04:36 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,246
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This sounds like it may be a GFCI outlet. A GFCI outlet provides protection against an accidental electrocution. By code they are required in new construction (and in most remodeling) to be installed in bathrooms, kitchens (for the counter outlets), unfinished basements, garages, and outdoor outlets.

Look closely, you should see one button labelled test, and the other labelled reset. These buttons should not be used as a switch for the outlet, but should be used to test the corcuit monthly, and to reset the circuit in the event of a ground fault.

If I am correct about this, you cannot change the outlet (except to replace with a new GFCI outlet), unless you install a GFCI circuit breaker at the circuit breaker panel for this circuit.

If I am wrong about this, then please describe it further.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: