No power to exterior light

Old 11-29-03, 05:40 PM
katmeg99
Visiting Guest
No power to exterior light

I have a light on my back porch with an interior light switch. I turn the switch and the light never turns on. I have checked all of the circuit breakers and they are fine. I know the previous owner was a self-appointed handyman, which created serious problems when I moved in with regard to my cable. Any idea how to fix this?

Old 11-29-03, 07:09 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the switch does not work then it is wired incorrectly, or has failed.

With the circuit breaker off, remove the light and the switch (don't actually remove them, just open them so you can see th wiring). Let us know exactly what wires are present and how they are connected. Be specific and include all wires.

Old 11-29-03, 07:40 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'll offer a few other thoughts in addition to Bob's excellent comments: (1) I assume you changed the bulb, right? (2) Perhaps the bulb is not making contact with the button on the bottom of the socket. Somebody else here recently had this same problem. (3) Sometimes there is an electric eye in series with the light. The electric eye could have failed. (4) You could have a tripped GFCI. (5) The breaker might be tripped even though it doesn't look like it.

Old 11-29-03, 10:40 PM
katmeg99
Visiting Guest
Yeah, I've changed the light bulb and double checked how it was screwed in. There is no light sensitive eye or motion detector on this light fixture (is that what you are talking about?). Also, this house was constructed before gfci's were required (in fact, I had planned to make the change and have been reviewing other posts here to do that) so (and I hope I don't sound stupid here) I don't think that is an issue here.

If the breaker is tripped (by the way my electricity was recently cut off due to my stupid nonpayment and when it was reconnected I had to switch the main breaker because it was tripped when all of the electricity came back on so I know nothing is tripped now) even though it doesn't look like it how do I find out?

Thanks for your help -- i'm a single mom here trying to figure out how to do things.

Old 11-30-03, 08:57 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Turn all of your 15-amp and 20-amp breakers off and back on again. This will also give you a chance to relive the fun of resetting all those digital clocks again.

Many homes that were originally constructed without GFCI have had GFCI subsequently added.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: