Landscape lighting

Old 11-30-03, 07:47 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Landscape lighting

Does anyone know anything about landscape lighting such as ingrounds?

Old 11-30-03, 08:08 AM
S
i know that hey are quite inexpensive these days. You can replace just about everything on them. I suggest to make them last the longest, take main light off wire for winter.
Plus you wont spend time trying to trouble shoot and you can go riding =)

Old 11-30-03, 03:12 PM
Z
Lol,I see you are perseptive and to know what you said,you must have a bike,right?Anyway,I have lights already installed,I just have to run a dedicated line for them,but,I was looking for some imput.

Here is what I have. There are 7 pathlights which will have 50w bulbs and four ingrounds which house 50w bulbs but,they are mercury vapor.

I have a couple of questions.......1)Do mercury vapor bulbs take more power to operate than regular 50w bulbs?

2)The furthest light in the run is 100' from the breaker.I am using 12/2 wire and am going to use a 20 amp breaker,but ,out of curiosity,would a 15 amp breaker support the above lights?

Old 11-30-03, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will have more than enough capacity with a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

No, MV lamps do not use more power than conventional lamps but the ballast to run them does take a few watts. Bear in mind the output of MV, or any HID lamps, is several times that of incandescent of the same wattage.

BTW- I've been riding since I was 8. I used to race motocross & I had a Ninja 900 for 12 years. Been sans bike for 5 years now and can't stand it! At least I have my race car.

Old 11-30-03, 05:47 PM
Z
Pete,I am new ,thanks for the reply,its greatly appreciated. I used to love that Ninja .Back in the day,I had a worked GPZ-1100....remember those pigs???? I also had a 1987 Z-28 that ran high 9's on 9" slicks at E-Town and Island Dragway.Ever been there? Do to time,I can't enjoy either :-(.

I am not an electrician,but,I see you are.Here's more history on my lighting dilema. The lights in my prior post was originally tapped into an existing lamp post light.When I first started this project,we hooked 1 path light up via the lamp post to maked sure the switch still worked which it did.I then,ran all the wire and,put all the lights in the ground and wired all of them.When I flipped the switch on,the breaker(15 amp) kept tripping. We then replaced that breaker with a 20 amp breaker and the same thing kept happening,so,thats why we have decided to run a dedicated line.

I should mention that the lamp post light,the garage lights,and another room in the house were all sharing the same circuit 15 amp circuit which was not done by myself.Also,going back further,before the landscape lighting was hooked up,at times,when I used my chop saw on that circuit,the lights would at the very least dim,and ,at times,the breaker would trip(not all the time,but,at least half of the time).

Old 11-30-03, 06:03 PM
ZX-

The only thing that concerns me is that the lights were tripping the breaker. 600 watts added to a circuit which can handle over 1800 is not a really heavy load.
Was there alot running on the circuit when you turned the lights on?
Does it trip with nothing else on?

I hope you put the original 15 amp breaker back in in place of the 20.

Old 11-30-03, 06:50 PM
Z
Damn,you reply fast! Yes,the original 15 amp breaker was replaced.Also,yes,even today,with the original 15 amp breaker and nothing on,if i turn the switch on,the breaker will trip.

Pete,now,you are scaring me. Come to think of it,there are a couple of things that may be wrong,but,you will know far better than I.

1)When I turned the switch on there were no bulbs in any of the landscape lights because the MV bulbs were on back order.....all 11 lights had NO BULBS installed. Would that matter?

2) As I mentioned all the wiring I installed is 12/2.There are 4 junction boxes.There is about 10' of wire going from every junction box to the MV light fixture.If a 10' section of one of these wires was 14/2,would that trip the breaker if a 20 amp breaker was used? I don't think that mistake was made,but I will check for that as i know i had 14/2 wire when working with the lights.

3)Again going back further to when no landscape lights were in the picture........if i used my chopsaw in the garage with the garage light on,the breaker(15amp) would trip at least half of the time.If I shut the light off,the saw would run.

4)Heres a question although it may be a dumb one. The switch I use now for the landscape lights(this is the switch that keeps tripping the breaker and controlled the lamp post outside) is in the kitchen. Would a special switch be needed for a 20 amp circuit?

Thank you so much Pete for your time!!

Old 11-30-03, 07:00 PM
Z
Oh,another thing Pete......just trying to think of and tell you any and everything.When we received the MV light fixtures,there was no special instructions for wiring. There was 3 wires,one green(ground) and 2 yellow. I asked an electrician if it mattered how the 2 yellow were to be wired to the hot and neutral wire....he said it didn't matter. This is correct I assume.

Old 11-30-03, 07:07 PM
1. No, no bulbs wouldn't matter. This also means there is virtually no added load with these lights yet.

2. No, a short section of 14/2 would not matter at all. Now I hope you didn't make that mistake. If you did you really should put the lights on a 15 amp breaker. Although the earth woudn't stop rotating if you don't.

3. This just means the circuit has some load most of the time. Most chop saws are a huge draw when cutting. Usually not full load but a 15 amp saw can draw 15 amps. A 15 amp saw is not at all uncommon.

4. Technically yes. Is it done regularly, no. Residentially not too many people use 20 amp switches. The loads are just not usually that high regardless of the circuit ampacity. For a motor or equipment definitely yes. For a bathroom light, not really. Will it cause a short term problem such as in immdiate breaker trip, no.

Old 11-30-03, 07:13 PM
I was typing during your last post.

Yes! it does matter. Don't ask that electrician anything any more.

On the yellow wires are markings. One will have the voltage(or "line" possibly in a 120 volt only fixture) (the hot) and one will say common (neutral).

Many HID fixtures are multi tap fixtures. They can be wired for 120, 208, 240 or 277 volts. The common is common with the neutral. If you wired some wrong and some right you will have a problem. Kind of like the problem you're having right now.

You do have a short somewhere. You need to find it. Start by verifying all the fixture wiring.

Good luck!

Old 11-30-03, 07:35 PM
Z
Pete,thanks,you are a lifesaver!! I think you just found my problem. I will never ask that electrician anything ever!! I wont get to this for approximately a week,but I will surely let you know how I make out.

You dont think I could have damaged the MV fixtures due to this short,do you?

Old 11-30-03, 07:41 PM
Hard to say. Without the load of the lamps maybe not.

Old 12-23-03, 08:12 PM
Z
Petey,I just wanted to thank you for your fast and professional help.The snow is pretty much gone here,so I finally had the time to check my lights out.I removed the (4) ingrounds out and rewired them following your instructions in reference to the (2) yellow wires.When I finished,I flipped the switch and had no more tripping the breaker problems.I know this is basic wiring to you,but,now with your help,I know what to look for before I wire something like this again. Thanks again and Merry Christmas,my lights look great!

Old 12-23-03, 08:18 PM
Great to hear it ZX!
Have a very Merry Christmas yourself!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: