Replacing Electric Water Heater

Old 12-01-03, 07:18 AM
MarkL
Visiting Guest
Replacing Electric Water Heater

I am replacing an old electric water heater 25 to 30 years old. It is a 240 V unit and the wiring going to the old unit has 5 wires. Two black, two White, one green, and the bare copper ground. The Green wire was connected to ground.

The New water heater has only two connection wires. The wiring diagram shows them as Line 1 and Line 2. There is a ground screw.

Do I just connect the two black wires to the two connections and not use the common whites? If that is correct can I just wire nut the ends of the whites or should I replace the whole cable? Should I also connect the green back to ground?

Wattage of the coils on the replacement unit is the same as the old so I should be fine using the same breaker.

Old 12-02-03, 09:38 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The 1st. step is to locate and identify the circuit- breakers that protect the existing conductors, and then determine the ratings of the breakers. The new appliance will require one 30-amp 2-pole breaker protecting one "pair" on #10 wires.

The connection you describe suggests 2 seperate-circuits, one for each heating-element. Such a connection would allow simultaneous operation of the 2 elements.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-03, 09:17 AM
MarkL
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Went back to the panel and replaced all from breaker to heater. Making hot water and not smoke.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: