Argument at work

Old 12-02-03, 05:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Argument at work

I am discussing the proper (code approved) method for wiring a light fixture to a box wired with 60c wiring The light of course requires 90c. All opinions are appreciated I will not post my theory until later so as not to taint the responses.

THX IN Advance

Old 12-02-03, 06:18 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Depends on location of fixture. If there is an open attic above you can install a box close to the existing box. Move the existing wire to new box and install new NM-B 90 degree cable from new box to old box. New box must be accessible and not buried in the ceiling.

Old 12-02-03, 06:19 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
One option is to simply return the fixture to the store and buy another fixture that doesn't require 90-degree wiring (not all do).

But if you are bound and determined to install the fixture, you must replace the wiring near the fixture with 90-degree wire. This can be done in numerous ways, and you only need to replace a foot or two (but I would prefer to replace the entire segment to the next box). If you do it in a manner that creates an extra junction box, you must of course make this junction box permanently accessible. This method is pretty easy if you have attic access above the light, and more difficult if you do not. Without attic access, you can often install a junction box in the same joist cavity (in the direction from which the cable comes) a couple feet away and put a blank cover plate on it. Or put a blank cover on the existing box and mount the light to a new box a couple feet away.

Old 12-02-03, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

joed, john

Thanx for the replys. We were talking about it at work (Apprentice just did it at home) and noone could agree. There was only one answer like yours. Everyone else thought you could just splice a pigtail to the existing wiring (in the same box mind you) to solve the temp problem.(This only works in a flourescent light if the 60cwire is more than 3" from the ballast) Which I tried to explain was silly because the wire was only longer,and still just as close to the fixture.There was so many against me and the apprentice I began to doubt my answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: