Adding ground for feeders

Old 12-04-03, 07:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding ground for feeders

I have some long underground feeders to panels I installed years ago and used only 3 wire for feeders, direct burial. Was planning on digging them up and adding a number 8 thwn along them to make it 4 wire as there is some metal gas piping which I was going to change out to plastic here, but still would preffer 4 wire. I do have a rolled plastic air line that is in close proximity and am going to discontinue it, not exactly sure of the distance from the feeders but shouldnt be more than a few inches from the feeders in most cases, but got thinking that maybe I could use that as the raceway for the new ground wire? How critical is the distance between these wires to performance of the short circuit interuption effectiveness? It would certainly save some delicate excavation. I would think in most places it is within a foot of the feeders at the most.

Old 12-04-03, 01:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You do know this is not necessary, right? For a feed to a separate structure you only need 3 wires. At the panel in the separate structure you do bond the neutral and ground. You treat it more or less like a main panel.
You must also have a ground rod. Regardless of the fact you ran 3 or 4 wires.

If you insist on running a ground you must separate the grounds and neutrals in the sub-panel.
I would say you are correct in a foot at the most. The code reads; "in close proximity" in the same trench. Less than a foot would be better.

Old 12-04-03, 07:18 PM
S
Yes, I am familiar with wiring panels. WG thought that since the unused pipe enetered the building in the same proximity it would be fine. Within a foot of the panels entering and as I remember I put it about 6 inches above the wire in the trench.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: