Can I add a doorbell?

Old 12-04-03, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I add a doorbell?

I'm finishing my basement. We'll have a family room down there and wont be able to hear the doorbell. Can I just splice in anywhere and add a second bell or what would be the proceedure?

Right now the transformer is accessible, but once I put up wallboard it will be hidden (I know that may be a problem someday).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-03, 02:05 PM
Two issues.

You cannot put up wall board and cover the transformer. It is likely attached to a junction box, and junction boxes cannot be hidden behind wallboard.

Second, the transformer is likely not strong enough for two door bells. You would need a stronger transformer.

Finally, you cannot just "splice" into your doorbell wires anywhere. Where you can spice in depends on the exact wiring. You need to put your new bell in parallel wioth the existing bell. This is easiest done by running wires from the existing bell to the new bell.

Old 12-04-03, 02:48 PM
The transformer, like others I've seen, is mounted directly to the breaker box, whilch in turn is mounted beween the studs, which will be covered with wallboard. If I need to replace it, I guess I could put it in a junction box, though I don't know that it's that crucial (until it needs to be replaced!).

I don't see what the diference is, though, between splicing in a new bell before the old bell and doing the opposite--it'll still be parallel, just in a different order. Of course this is asuming that I splice in to the wire where it's going into the bell and not where it's going to the transformer. Anyway, that's the exact info I'm looking for--where is the appropriate place to splice in--I'm assuming after the transformer, not before.

Is there any way a person can know if the transformer will run two bells without just guessing?

Old 12-04-03, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most bell transformeres are 16 volts and 10va. Not much for two bells. They may work but will most likely be weak.

Look at the trans and tell us the numeration on it.

If you do do this make sure you wire the bells in parallel. It doesn't matter where you do it. You may need to run right up to the existing bell.

You really shouldn't bury the transformer. You cannot bury any electrical items such as; splice boxes, transformers, devices, etc..
If I <i>had</i> to sheetrock around the panel I would cut in a box above the panel and mount the transformer to that.

Old 12-05-03, 05:33 PM
How easy was this?

Went to my local big box store and found a wireless extension to the wired doorbell for $28. Much easier. I just had to wire it into the existing bell housing and it operates a remote up to 100 ft away.

This way I don't have to splice and can use the existing system for upstairs and don't have to change buttons, etc. Pretty cool.

Now, will I or won't I move the transformer before I sheetrock? Probably not cause I'm such a bad boy.

Old 12-05-03, 09:50 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Re: How easy was this?

Originally posted by caleyg

Now, will I or won't I move the transformer before I sheetrock? Probably not cause I'm such a bad boy.
You will if you want to do the job right!