indoor wiring

Old 12-05-03, 04:44 AM
clbngow
Visiting Guest
Question indoor wiring

I have a problem with one of my ceiling lights; I have lost the live feed and don't know where it comes from or how to find it. I have tried a cable finder but without any particular success. I have been told that the best way is with an "impulse cable tracer". This will apparently highlight the specific cable so that I can trace it to its source. Can anyone advise me of a specific make and item # and tell me where I can rent one of these or if necessary buy one.

Old 12-05-03, 05:34 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If there is no power running through the wires then tracing the cable will be ahrder than you think.

I believe that you will find it easier to trace the cable by simply looking for it. You should know what breaker controls that light, and you should know what other lights and outlets are on the same circuit. With this information start looking at the other outlets and lights. Start with the ones nearest the dead fixture and continue looking until you figure out where the problem is.

Old 12-05-03, 08:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is your goal once you find the route that the cable takes by tracing it?
My point is, perhaps it is less important to find it, but rather install the replacement. Yes, the other end of the cable must be found before abandoning it.
Give us some specifics about the light, how is it controlled, what else is on the circuit, etc.

gj

Old 12-05-03, 06:11 PM
clbngow
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replys.
My purpose is to determine the problem and do what needs to be done to fix it. This might be as easy as reconnecting to its source or as difficult as having to run another wire, but until I find the other end i don't know what's required. The cable inducer and tracer sounded a possibility but would incur cost. The idea of working from same breaker and radiating out to common lights and sockets, although I think it's only lights, seems worth persuing. I'll let you know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: