Outdoor Lighting - Recessed Fixtures??

Old 12-05-03, 02:36 PM
willy-2003
Visiting Guest
Question Outdoor Lighting - Recessed Fixtures??

Okay, so the front of my house has very little lighting at all. There is one single fixture over the front door, and thats it. I want to install 2 fixtures on either side of the garage door. The house has a brick exterior, so to install standard outdoor wall fixtures would mean I would need to mess with the brick & masonary. (I'm a beginner, and this has got failure all over it...for me anyway) I do have an eve over the front of the garage, giving me direct access to the attic. So I'm considering installing recessed fixtures in the eve to "wash" the wall on either side of the garage. This would give me the added lighting I'm looking for, plus it would probably be fairly straight forward to install in the eve and wire from the existing fixture above the front door. So I go into Lowe's today and look around at the fixtures and sure enough, they display a picture of a home with recessed fixtures outside of the house, however, I can't find any specs for the fixtures stating if they're approved for indoor/outdoor use. This is where I need a little help. I guess my question are: Is this a realistic project? Can recessed fixtures be installed in an outdoor eve, eventhough all of the fixture will actually be in the attic? What special features..if any...do I need to look for in a fixture...or be aware of in general.

Thanks,

-Bill

Old 12-05-03, 08:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes it is possible and done frequently. No there are not special fixtures or trims for outdoor installations. The hardest part will be supporting the can inside the soffit. A remodel can is designed to be supported by a drywall ceiling I do not think the a tin soffit will be strong enough support a can by it self, so this would be a consideration of the installation.

All the lighting on my porch is recessed, but it was installed during construction so it was easy to add additional support for lights.

Old 12-05-03, 08:42 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Make sure that porch light circuit you plan on tapping has the reserve capacity to support the new lights. You might find it is easier to run a new line to the lights, especially if your panel is in the garage.

Also make sure your soffits are tall enough to accomodate the recessed cans. My home, along with many others, has 2 x 4 roof framing so the roof overhangs (soffits) are only about 4 inches deep, not enough room to install recessed cans.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: