open circut?

Old 12-05-03, 06:24 PM
ochrisl
Visiting Guest
open circut?

I recently had a home inspection. The inspector wrote that i had an open circut in my braker box.What does that mean?How can it be located and repaired?

Old 12-05-03, 06:57 PM
willy-2003
Visiting Guest
Is there a slot in your panel where there might have been a breaker, but now there's just an opening? I deal with these at work from time to time where an empty breaker slot is open...point being (from an inspectors point of view) that somone could stick a finger or screw driver into the empty slot. Anyway, if this is it, you can buy a little plastic slot filler to close up the hole.

-Bill

Old 12-05-03, 08:47 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
^^Or you could even just install a spare breaker in the opening. The last time I bought filler plates they were about $4 for two of them and they didn't fit real well. Depending on your panel, a single pole breaker is probably only $4-5. Just switch it off and mark it SPARE on the panel schedule.

Old 12-05-03, 10:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The term "open circuit" is ambiguous. It could be as interpreted by Bill and hotarc, or it could be an open circuit in the electrical sense of the word. If you don't see an obvious open hole in the panel cover when you look in, you'll need to ask the inspector for clarification.

Old 12-06-03, 10:26 AM
ochrisl
Visiting Guest
There is no open hole,thats what i thought at first, but i looked and no blank spots. This inspector flagged me for a bunch of stuff with very vague comments on why,just stuff like 'open circut', without clarifying anything.It says for remedy to call an electrician. I might as well open my wallet to the world according to this guy.

Old 12-06-03, 11:32 AM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
Well this inspector may have found another breaker box (sub panel) maybe? Never saw one take cover off panel box before. Without details as John said open circuit could mean just about anything, do you have any circuits that dont work?...RL

Old 12-06-03, 01:10 PM
ochrisl
Visiting Guest
Yep he took the cover off. I have a subpanel in my detatched garage but he took a pic of the main panel, included it in the report and made the note next to it. All the circuts are working fine.

Old 12-06-03, 01:31 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Perhaps he means a breaker that does not control anything. Is that the case?

Old 12-06-03, 01:32 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
Ok if he took the cover off then my guess is he saw a white wire not connected to the neutral bar in this panel, we really have to speculate here, is there any way to revisit this with the inspector?.....RL

Old 12-06-03, 04:19 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you the buyer, the seller, or simply the owner? If you are the seller, then just fix the things that you understand. Tell the buyer you fixed all the things that were clearly identified on the report. Let the buyer harass the inspector.

If you are the buyer or owner, then presumably you paid the inspector. Demand that you get what you paid for and/or report the inspector to ASHI.

Old 12-06-03, 04:25 PM
ochrisl
Visiting Guest
I am the seller. My home is being bought by a relocation company. They will buy it as long as the things found by the inspector are fixed.So i need to fix it. I will look into what Rlfrazee suggested.They may be it.

Old 12-06-03, 04:45 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Be very careful removing the cover and poking around in the panel. You could easily kill yourself with the current in there. Also, be careful putting the cover back on. Many people tend to relax then, thinking the danger is past. It is not. The cover could slip, contact a hot wire and then zap you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: