adding a bedroom in the basement?

Old 12-05-03, 07:59 PM
builder bill
Visiting Guest
Talking adding a bedroom in the basement?

Hello everyone in builders world first of all I would like to thank everyone who helped me in my wiring project just over a year ago. You all helped me to learn how to wire a ceiling fan and do recessed lighting it was a great learning experience, thank all of you who helped. My new question is this, I am adding a bedroom downstairs in the basement. I am putting the bedroom in one corner using two exsiting walls the problem is this we have recess lighing all down the center of the basement 8 cans to be exact. The last can ends up falling inside the bedroom would it be possible for me to convert this can to a junction box run power from this box to a new switch in side the new bedroom to operate a light fixture within the room with out disturbing or turning on and off the rest of the cans that light up the basement and vise versa with the switch that operates the basement lighing out side of the new bedroom? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Builder Bill
PS my out of forum email address is this xcellquest@comcast.net
Again thanks
Bill

Old 12-05-03, 08:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How is the can light wired conduit or romex(2 or 3 wire).

If it is wired to a switch with 2-wire romex then the new switch in the bedroom would only have power when the cans were turned on. It would be better to find a better power source.

Don't forget bedrooms are now required to have arc-fault breakers installed.

Old 12-05-03, 08:11 PM
builder bill
Visiting Guest

It is wired using 2 wire, can I run from a plug? there is a plug just outside of the new bedroom.

Old 12-05-03, 08:15 PM
builder bill
Visiting Guest
How about just running a new breaker? this will run my new light fixture plus 4 new plugs as well?
Bill

Old 12-05-03, 08:17 PM
A new circuit is the best answer keeping in mind the new requirement for Arc-fault circuitbreakers in bedrooms

Old 12-05-03, 08:21 PM
builder bill
Visiting Guest
are the Arc-fault circuitbreakers the one that have breakers built into the hardware?

I have one of these wired to my jacuzzi tub.
Bill

Old 12-05-03, 08:29 PM
The breaker wired to your hottub should be a GFCI breaker but yes it is the same principle. It must be an arc fault though, as it performes a different type of protection from the GFCI type.

Old 12-05-03, 08:31 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you're thinking of a Ground Fault Circuit Interrrupter. The GFCI protects humans against shocks, while the AFCI detects arcing in the circuit and helps to prevent a fire. Check your local codes to see if they mandate the use of ARC Fault circuit breakers in bedrooms.

Also, you will probably need to have an egress window in the basement large enough for a firefighter with an air-pak to fit thru. Most standard basement windows don't allow for this. That is another thing you are going to want to check up on when you talk to your local codes official--the AHJ.

Old 12-05-03, 08:37 PM
builder bill
Visiting Guest
The basement is a walk out. So I beleive Iam safe there?
Bill

Old 12-05-03, 08:44 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Yes you should be as long as the door to outside is within the bedroom. Need primary bedroom door and 1 additional form of egress in bedrooms, which is typically a window, but could be another door leading outside.

Old 12-05-03, 08:51 PM
builder bill
Visiting Guest
What do you mean, the door that lets you in and out of the bedroom is the only access to and from the room there are no windows in the bedroom. once you walk out of the bedroom the sliding glass door is ten feet from you which will lead you to the outside, I always thought this was code? as long as you can get out of the basement you are ok?
bill

Old 12-05-03, 09:02 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
As far as I know, you need 2 means of escape in a bedroom. If a fire were burning directly on the other side of the bedroom door, you'd be up #$@% creek with no oars!!

This is definitely something you are going to want to check out with your local building dept. It may prevent you from making a costly mistake and illegal bedroom.

You should post this question in the basement forum here at DIY.com. I'm sure they can give you more info, but remember, your AHJ is the final authority.

Old 12-05-03, 10:19 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The egress window requirement for a basement bedroom is one of the most strictly enforced of all building codes. The inspector will grant you no leeway at all. You will either need to cut a new window (there are contractors that specialize in just this task), or you will need to relocate the bedroom to where you can get at least 5.7 square feet of openable window.

Old 12-06-03, 06:07 AM
R
As a volunteer firefighter I can tell you that you do not want to ignore the rules for bedrooms regarding 2 means of egress.

We had a fire in a house once which was minor, and nobody go hurt. The homeowner ended up being fined thousands of dollars and his homeowners insurance cancelled his policy, all because he had an illegal bedroom in the basement.

Last edited by racraft; 12-06-03 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 09:18 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If someone had been hurt, there could have been criminal charges too.

Old 12-07-03, 12:34 PM
This isn't the correct forum for this issue but have you installed an egress window in your new bedroom. Under all of the model building codes an egress window is required in bedrooms.

--
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: