burnt outlet

Old 12-05-03, 10:39 PM
meanmach007
Visiting Guest
Question burnt outlet

Bent plug fried outlet,,now 4 outlets dont work,The outlet that burnt is controled by a switch also.In the outlet box that burnt thers two black wires together with a wire nut,One red wire,two bare wires pigtaled,and two white wires,,At the switch one white and one red wire, to the switch, question I forgot wher the wires in the outlet go,whats hot and whats neutral,

Old 12-06-03, 06:01 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hnow you know why you should make detailed notes when removing old outlets and switches.

The white wire is the neutral, and the red is most likely the hot wire that is switched.

However, before replacing the outlet I would find out why other outlets don't work. Did you trip the breaker? Did you trip a GFCI outlet? Once you know why the other outlets don't work you will know the scope of the work you need to do to fix everything.

Old 12-06-03, 08:09 AM
meanmach007
Visiting Guest
Re: burnt outlet

The breaker never triped ,my house is 35 years old solid wires,the outlet that burnt is in the middle of the run...Question whats a GFCI outlet...THANKS for the help !

[size=1](removed unnecessary quoting)[/size]

Last edited by John Nelson; 12-06-03 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-06-03, 08:33 AM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
Connect the 2 white wires to the silver screws on the new receptacle. Connect the red wire to one of the brass screws. Connect the bare ground to the green screw on the corner of the outlet.

Old 12-06-03, 09:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually since you are replacing the receptacle you need to join the two white wires together with another small piece of white going to the receptacle. This is called a pigtail. Since there are switched receptacles most likely there are spliced hots so the neutrals must be spliced also.

Old 12-06-03, 09:48 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Speedy, unless this is a multiwire circuit (and there is no evidence of that), code does not require pigtailing the neutral. I support Joe's approach.

Old 12-06-03, 10:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Re: burnt outlet

John, this is the original post.
Originally posted by meanmach007
In the outlet box that burnt thers two black wires together with a wire nut,One red wire,two bare wires pigtaled,and two white wires,,
Not that it's a multi-wire but a 3 wire with hot and switched lines. The hots (blacks) are spliced through and the neutrals are not.
Since the hots are spliced, so must be the neutrals.

Old 12-06-03, 12:18 PM
meanmach007
Visiting Guest
THANKS ALL

Thanks for all the help.Got everything working again,one down 3 more honey do's to go..i'll be back.

Old 12-06-03, 12:28 PM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
Re: Re: burnt outlet

Originally posted by Speedy Petey
John, this is the original post.

Not that it's a multi-wire but a 3 wire with hot and switched lines. The hots (blacks) are spliced through and the neutrals are not.
Since the hots are spliced, so must be the neutrals.
Never heard of that. Only multiwires need the neutral spliced because it serves two DIFFERENT hot sources.

Last edited by joed; 12-07-03 at 08:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: